Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:04 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
As someone who, while not brown, has an accent, I now have to carry my US passport in Arizona. This wouldn't be a problem, if everyone was to carry one; but the requirement applies only to people like me, who aren't "real" Americans, I suppose. I have no problem carrying my passport in a foreign country; but America is my home -- the only home, as I don't have a citizenship anywhere else.
I say it again.

You should ALWAYS carry your ID with you, accent or no accent. I'm still trying to fathom why certain people refuse to do this. If you had to fly somewhere you'd have to show your ID multiple times; if you go to a bank they might ask for ID, if you get pulled over (Regardless of race, mind) you'll be asked for ID, at border checkpoints you might be asked for ID, at DUI checkpoints you might be asked for ID; therefore it is logical to always carry it because you never know when you might be asked to produce it. What's the problem here??? We've had planes flown into buildings, bombs in SUVs, bomb threats, bio threats, and all sorts of terrorist activities. It has nothing to do with this being "your home". The government is scared and they're doing what they think is necessary, as onerous as it is for Americans. With illegal immigration a terrorist could come in and wreak absolute havoc, pack up and leave, and we'd never be the wiser. That's why we have the controls we have. And the government is just asking you to carry some form of true identification. It's not asking much. We don't have a National ID (yet), or underskin implants (yet). Just carry a damn ID.

You should have no problem carrying whatever identification you possess with you at ALL TIMES regardless of the country, state or city you're in. If you have a driver's license carry it. If you have a state ID carry it. If you have any other federally acceptable identification carry it. If a passport is all you have CARRY IT. Stop creating problems for yourself and stop with the pity trip. Nobody is singling you out; every American is told from the moment you're old enough to care: CARRY YOUR ID WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES. Worst case, the fact that you refuse to carry ID with you makes you even more of a potential target for harassment. Does that suck? Yes. But you know what?

YouTube - Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is

This isn't rocket science, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 12:23 PM

38 posts, read 71,887 times
If you are engaging in an illegal activity, it doesn't matter what color you are, you will be stopped and questioned. If you have no illegal intent, you will not be stopped and questioned, no matter what color you are. Listening to Obama lies might lead one to think otherwise... It's easier for him to lie than to do his job..
Read the bill, it's not legal to question anyone without intent.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:29 PM

146 posts, read 399,418 times
How dare Arizona ban something which is illegal! Its racist, xenophobic, homophobic, sexist....blah blah blah.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:52 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
There is only one kind of ID that proves US citizenship or lawful immigration status -- and it ain't the driver's license.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:03 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
There is only one kind of ID that proves US citizenship or lawful immigration status -- and it ain't the driver's license.
Yes I wondered about that. So are all Arizonans going to carry their passports and/or birth certificates with them where ever they go? Technically that is what would be required.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:51 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGIMMI22 View Post
When I'm retired, I really want to do something better than spending rest of my life posting on CD.
You'll be here.......trolls never die, they just lurk in the background...

Old 05-16-2010, 08:35 AM

683 posts, read 1,469,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGIMMI22 View Post
I’m NOT Hispanic, I'm am a brown-skinned legal immigrant(originally from India) living in TX for the past 15 years. I have my dad, mom and cousin who are visiting from India. We did plan on going to Grand Canyon during September. But after seeing this law, we abandoned our plans. Even though I have all the papers required to prove that I'm a legal worker, I'm afraid the cop who stops me will not have the expertise to read the list of approval notices, LCA, I140, AC21, I485 application, EAD, AOS, AP to know that I'm legal. No offense to the cops but the list of papers I have to show to prove that I'm legal is at least 10 and it takes a well experience person to understand what they are and how they are related, it's not a card or DL like some would think.

Sure, if the officer does not understand, he/she may refer me to ICE and they should have the expertise to sort things out and let me go...and how long is that going to take 2 hours? 2 days? Where am I going to be till then? Cops car? Jail?

No way I'm going to Arizona. Sorry Arizona. I budgeted about 12K for my 6 day trip, but thanks to the new law, I’ll be spending my money to get a pergola and spend time with my family right in my backyard!

Arizona is losing a lot of money from tourists. Nobody wants to go to that state now. I am a us citizen of Basque ancestry, and I have a spanish name. I'd never go to that stupid state where some light skinned multiracial/mestizo police officer asks for my papers just because my name is a Spanish one.

This type of laws (racial profiling) work in Europe because Europe is over 97% ethnic European.

The US is a new world country populated by people who is multiracial. Even Elvis presley was a mestizo. White here means nothing. Far from being like europeans. So, if the US race is so mixed, why would a state like Arizona, where the largest ancestry of the legal population is mexican, adopt a law to do racial profiling towards people who look Amerindian?

What a stupid law in a stupid state. And now they'll feel the horrible consequences because no money is going to enter through tourism.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
If people can't comprehend this simple law, they shouldn't leave their homes, much less consider a trip to Arizona.

The law has not been in effect, it is not going profile and you will not be asked if you here illegally, "just because."

Read the bill Chicken Little, the sky is not falling.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Arizona is losing a lot of money from tourists. Nobody wants to go to that state now. I am a us citizen of Basque ancestry, and I have a spanish name. I'd never go to that stupid state where some light skinned multiracial/mestizo police officer asks for my papers just because my name is a Spanish one.

This type of laws (racial profiling) work in Europe because Europe is over 97% ethnic European.

The US is a new world country populated by people who is multiracial. Even Elvis presley was a mestizo. White here means nothing. Far from being like europeans. So, if the US race is so mixed, why would a state like Arizona, where the largest ancestry of the legal population is mexican, adopt a law to do racial profiling towards people who look Amerindian?

What a stupid law in a stupid state. And now they'll feel the horrible consequences because no money is going to enter through tourism.

You like so many others haven't even read the bill have you? You take what the media and news papers say and run with it. No one's going to stop you because of the color of your skin or what you name is...Geeze

Answer me one question:

If I go to your native country,or any country for that matter, will I be able to get across the border with NO PAPERS?

Also, is it not the LAW in every other country you need to carry your passport AT ALL TIMES!!!

If you want to blame someone,blame the Govt. for not enforcing the law which they should've been doing!

Oh...Try reading the bill,maybe you'll stop living in fear...lol

http://www.securetheborder.org/uploa...edByHB2162.pdf

Old 05-16-2010, 10:42 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Y
Also, is it not the LAW in every other country you need to carry your passport AT ALL TIMES!!!
No. Passports are for international travel and crossing borders, not internal checks.

Some countries have full legal ID cards issued by the Federal government which they are legally required to carry.

Most US citizens don't want that to happen as they feel it infringes on their civil liberties.

A Drivers License is not a Federally issued ID and does not prove legal status.

Proof of legal status in this country would be Passport, Birth Certificate (with back-up photo ID) or Green Card. Other immigration papers or a social security card would also have to be backed by photo ID.

So my question stands - are all American Arizonans now going to carry their passport or other proof-of-legality papers with them at all times. Technically, that is what the law requires. Or, are they now in favor of a national, Federally issued ID card? That would seem to be the best answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration