Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:00 AM

36,794 posts, read 31,091,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No way I'm going to Arizona. Sorry Arizona. I budgeted about 12K for my 6 day trip, but thanks to the new law, I’ll be spending my money to get a pergola and spend time with my family right in my backyard!
Were you plannning to commit a crime while you were there. No. Then you shouldnt have any problem with the local cops or ICE. They dont need to be well versed in all the immigrations forms. You have a valid DL, you havent committed a crime, there is not reason to suspect you are here illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:41 AM

13 posts, read 23,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Were you plannning to commit a crime while you were there. No. Then you shouldnt have any problem with the local cops or ICE. They dont need to be well versed in all the immigrations forms. You have a valid DL, you havent committed a crime, there is not reason to suspect you are here illegally.
Good point. But what if I get into an accident?

When cop is investigating the accident, he wants to know if I'm in the country legally?

So I hand him about 15 sheets of paper (I485 receipt notice, expired I94, I785 approval, DL, AC21 papers etc) with different dates on it and he gets confused and refers me to ICE…Assuming that an ICE agent who knows the immigration laws standing by, it will take a few hours to verify something of this sort. Now think about the scenario where we don’t have one and I’ll to wait for few hours.

Do you think the cop will let me go?
I don’t want to spend the time in his car or the holding facility.
Clear enough?

Old 05-14-2010, 12:04 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,274,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGIMMI22 View Post
I’m NOT Hispanic, I'm am a brown-skinned legal immigrant(originally from India) living in TX for the past 15 years. I have my dad, mom and cousin who are visiting from India. We did plan on going to Grand Canyon during September. But after seeing this law, we abandoned our plans. Even though I have all the papers required to prove that I'm a legal worker, I'm afraid the cop who stops me will not have the expertise to read the list of approval notices, LCA, I140, AC21, I485 application, EAD, AOS, AP to know that I'm legal. No offense to the cops but the list of papers I have to show to prove that I'm legal is at least 10 and it takes a well experience person to understand what they are and how they are related, it's not a card or DL like some would think.

Sure, if the officer does not understand, he/she may refer me to ICE and they should have the expertise to sort things out and let me go...and how long is that going to take 2 hours? 2 days? Where am I going to be till then? Cops car? Jail?

No way I'm going to Arizona. Sorry Arizona. I budgeted about 12K for my 6 day trip, but thanks to the new law, I’ll be spending my money to get a pergola and spend time with my family right in my backyard!
I think your story is made up and that you are a troll.....

Old 05-14-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I'm a white-skinned citizen, so I suppose I have little to worry about. However, I was speaking with a peer at my old company and I was surprised to learn that they have taken ALL Arizona-based subcontractors off their list of potential suppliers for future contracts though they are completing the contracts they have now.

I thought the whole deal was less serious than the noise people are making about it, but I guess business is taking it seriously.

That's a lot of money, because this is not a small company!
That's just like the time they were boycotting California grapes here in Texas. I bought 2 packages and gave them to the 2 boycotters out front and told them to enjoy...

Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haai View Post
I'm a first-generation American. My parents naturalized back in '83 (my father is from from Tivoli, Italy, and my mother is from Honduras).

I'm pretty sure I'd be mistaken for an illegal if I were to visit Arizona, so I don't think I'll be visiting that state in this lifetime. Being hounded by the police and judged by the public would be unpleasant at best, and I'd rather not put myself in that sort of situation. People play the race game on me all the time, so I'm used to it, but visiting a place where discrimination is legal would be an insult to me as both a human being and as an American.

One of my life goals was to visit and explore all fifty states, but I guess this means Arizona is one less to visit.

Oh well. More gas money to go around.
Go look at the Pacific Ocean....see how big it is....what little money you may have is not even a drop in it...thsat's how much your boycott will mean....

Old 05-14-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
That's just like the time they were boycotting California grapes here in Texas. I bought 2 packages and gave them to the 2 boycotters out front and told them to enjoy...
I think you the most useless person in the world who has spent years of his life posting on city data

Statistics from your profile:

6,282 posts, read 2,561,043 times

Old 05-14-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I think you the most useless person in the world who has spent years of his life posting on city data

Statistics from your profile:

6,282 posts, read 2,561,043 times
And you are my favorite troll...

I think you are one of the biggest liars to ever hit CD....

and I'm retired and have plenty of time to post on CD...

Old 05-14-2010, 12:42 PM

150 posts, read 476,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Go look at the Pacific Ocean....see how big it is....what little money you may have is not even a drop in it...thsat's how much your boycott will mean....
Yes, the Pacific Ocean is a marvel, isn't it? Quite the natural wonder, if I may say so.

Maybe you've heard of the saying "every little bit helps?"

Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,680,628 times
Quote:
Do you know who applies for I485? Employer? Employee? Do you know pre-PERM how long it took for labor certification?

I'm on my second H1B and in the GC queue for about 6 years now...if you are a legal immigrant in EB category you will understand what I'm talking about, if not, please do some research before commenting.
The police will be trained to deal with documentation. Why would someone who came here illegally, care about a H1B?

Old 05-14-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
The police will be trained to deal with documentation. Why would someone who came here illegally, care about a H1B?
Sure, in a perfect world where cops are experieced lawyers too.

Officers at the POE who are supposed to be experts in immigration law don't know exactly what do in several scenarios. Twice when I entered US using an AP document, the officer seemed puzzled with all the documentation and dates in them, and it took two supervisors to say that I'm entering the country legally.

Even experienced paralegals who deal with 100's of legal immigration related cases everyday have trouble understanding and interpreting the law. You will never understand the complexity involved unless you have been through the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration