Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 AM

13 posts, read 23,727 times

Advertisements

I’m NOT Hispanic, I'm am a brown-skinned legal immigrant(originally from India) living in TX for the past 15 years. I have my dad, mom and cousin who are visiting from India. We did plan on going to Grand Canyon during September. But after seeing this law, we abandoned our plans. Even though I have all the papers required to prove that I'm a legal worker, I'm afraid the cop who stops me will not have the expertise to read the list of approval notices, LCA, I140, AC21, I485 application, EAD, AOS, AP to know that I'm legal. No offense to the cops but the list of papers I have to show to prove that I'm legal is at least 10 and it takes a well experience person to understand what they are and how they are related, it's not a card or DL like some would think.

Sure, if the officer does not understand, he/she may refer me to ICE and they should have the expertise to sort things out and let me go...and how long is that going to take 2 hours? 2 days? Where am I going to be till then? Cops car? Jail?

No way I'm going to Arizona. Sorry Arizona. I budgeted about 12K for my 6 day trip, but thanks to the new law, I’ll be spending my money to get a pergola and spend time with my family right in my backyard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
That's really daft in my opinion. Enjoy your pergola!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:27 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
I'm actually going to Arizona now because of this bill and will spend my money there to show support for what they're doing. I will also be looking at homes there and will seriously consider buying a second home in Az.

Arizona is only doing what our lazy Govt. should've been doing the last 30-40 years,enforcing the law! But they're more worried about getting votes than upholding the LAW! This is no different from what any other country does,you need to carry your papers (Passport) with you at all time when in another country.

So I guess if I was in India I would have no problem walking around without my passport ? What would happen to me there if I was stopped and didn't have them on me?

Some people are trying to make this out to be way worse than it actually is. First try reading the bill and get a good understanding of it. This has nothing to do with ones race it's about being here LEGALLY! This should really be a slap in the face to everyone who came here legally along with their ancestors because these illegals are basically taking jobs and benefits away from those here legally. Also, look at all the states going bankrupt,especially Cali. A good part of that is because of the illegals sucking off the system and putting a strain on the schools and medical there.

Have a good time under your Pergola,I'll be sure to post a few pics. of my trip to the Grand Canyon when I return.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:48 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
12k for a 6 day trip to "visit" the grand canyon... that's spending 2k a day... highly doubt you are going to splurge on that kind of money but who knows, maybe you are filthy rich or a filthy liar... typical Americans spend about 2k total on a vacation trip but when you said 6X that amount.. one has to wonder if you are lying to just annoy people who want to secure their borders... most countries (including Mexico) don't even care if you have papers and throw you in prison for thinking that you are an illegal immigrant, you are lucky to be in the US... I don't know what is more fun... looking at your pergola or watching the grand canyon... I am going to have to go and say the Grand Canyon.. enjoy your pergola..

Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I think they should just yank the rug out from all the protesters and change the wording of the law to check everyone's status. White, black, asian, hispanic should all get asked and treated accordingly. This way no one group can say it is profiling.

I love AZ, I miss living there and I wish there were more states doing the same thing.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM

13 posts, read 23,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
12k for a 6 day trip to "visit" the grand canyon... that's spending 2k a day... highly doubt you are going to splurge on that kind of money but who knows, maybe you are filthy rich or a filthy liar... typical Americans spend about 2k total on a vacation trip but when you said 6X that amount.. one has to wonder if you are lying to just annoy people who want to secure their borders... most countries (including Mexico) don't even care if you have papers and throw you in prison for thinking that you are an illegal immigrant, you are lucky to be in the US... I don't know what is more fun... looking at your pergola or watching the grand canyon... I am going to have to go and say the Grand Canyon.. enjoy your pergola..
Yeah, I do make a little bit more than average person makes (and may be I spend little bit more than an average person)...I was a bit worried when Mr. Obama says families making >250K have to pay higher taxes, I'll let you guess what two (me and my wife) SAP FICO consultants make/year

6 day trip to Grand Canyon for 5 adults and two kids cost less than 12K?

Just my four helicopter tours were ~$2000

Old 05-12-2010, 03:59 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGIMMI22 View Post
Yeah, I do make a little bit more than average person makes (and may be I spend little bit more than an average person)...I was a bit worried when Mr. Obama says families making >250K have to pay higher taxes, I'll let you guess what two (me and my wife) SAP FICO consultants make/year

6 day trip to Grand Canyon for 5 adults and two kids cost less than 12K?

Just my four helicopter tours were ~$2000
You work in the US. You pay taxes in the US. Believe me - I do not enjoy my quarterly donations either.

Maybe you should have hired a vacation consultant:>)

Paranoia about a trip to the Grand Canyon - guide on! What will be next?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:00 PM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times
You shouldn't have problems really. I don't like the amount of power the bill gives policemen, but if you have a license and everyone on the vehicle have a passport and a stamped I-94 everything should be alright.

They already ask I-94 for pretty much anything so most law enforcement officials should be familiar with them.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Some people are trying to make this out to be way worse than it actually is. First try reading the bill and get a good understanding of it. This has nothing to do with ones race it's about being here LEGALLY!
You missed the point.

Once all of the illegals came to the US - predominantly Mexican, yes - they set up shop with the confidence that nobody would mess with them, and if they did, they'd just pull the race card and people would back off. It was a strategy, a brilliant one. Now people are afraid to act for fear of hurting people's feelings while at the same time ignoring the simple fact that they never should have been here without going through the proper process. People ignore that, because we've turned into country that cares about morals rather than the law. The only reason race even came up is because the majority of those coming into the US illegally happen to be Mexican. That doesn't negate the fact that they're coming into the US illegally. Let's not cloud the true issue here. Their race just happens to be an unfortunate side effect of the problem.

Did you hear that Los Angeles, San Diego and other cities are actually considering boycotting Arizona over this nonsense? State governments are actually offended, and instead of letting Arizona enforce whatever laws it pleases, our governments are taking a moral interest in Arizona, to the point of threatening them. We're actually threatening Arizona because Arizona wants to enforce our illegal immigrant law. The governments we put into effect, are wanting to waste taxpayer money protecting illegal immigrants.

So banks are "too big to fail", Madoff is "too well known to put in a real prison", Wesley Snipes is "too popular to get chased after by the Franchise Tax Board", Paris Hilton is "too popular to get a DUI on the record", and illegal immigrants are "too helpless to deport with efficiency".

Old 05-12-2010, 07:47 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,092 times
I love when a person is willing to cut off his nose to spite his face, and then troll on the Internet to boast. Suit yourself. Hey, why don't you come back and post some pictures of your memorable vacation, under your pergola?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration