Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times

Advertisements

Oh darn, I posted my response to this question in the Metal thread. I'll do a quick recap though.

Glam rock was glitter rock and it came out in the 1970s. It was characterised by androgynous men who wore makeup and outrageous costumes.

Glam rock became big hair bands in the 1980s. It had a much more American sound and while some bands wore makeup and tight spandex, they are still considered hair bands, like Cinderella, Def Leppard, Skid Row, Bon Jovi.

When I think of glam rock I think David Bowie, T Rex, Gary Glitter, Slade, the Sweet, even Queen. Slade were the original band who sung *** on Feel the Noize.

There is still a crossover though. Motley Crue and Twisted Sister could be considered crossover bands to some extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 06:04 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Since the subject was brought up in Metal Kingdom I would like to ask for your opinion.
What is hair metal to you and is there a difference between hair and glam?

To me hair metal is a derogatory term for poppy power ballad bands like White Lion and Slaughter.
I also think that they and not grunge killed metal.
Glam metal (not glam rock) is make up bands like Poison and Pretty Boy Floyd.
Sleaze rock is bands like Guns'n'Roses and LA Guns.
I don't think that Mötley Crüe,Ratt,Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister necessarily belongs in any category.
I guess that they belong in the glam category,but I don't think that heavy metal always needs to be about swords and dungeons and dragons.
Other bands like Whitesnake and Def Leppard doesn't fit at all,although I don't know what they have been up to post 1987.

I may be all wrong about this,but I'm sticking to it.
Do you agree or disagree?
I think that there's always going to be disagreements about what is truely Glam metal as i guess for me i usually lump underneath that genre the Hair and Sleaze bands featured mainly during the 80's who almost always featured the lead guitar solo during the middle of the song although i realize not all bands who did that wouldn't be considered Glam i.e. Def Leppard for example although they seemed to slide that way on their third album ''Pyromania'' including their music videos (Photograph, Rock of Ages etc.) featured on MTV back then.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:49 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Oh darn, I posted my response to this question in the Metal thread. I'll do a quick recap though.

Glam rock was glitter rock and it came out in the 1970s. It was characterised by androgynous men who wore makeup and outrageous costumes.

Glam rock became big hair bands in the 1980s. It had a much more American sound and while some bands wore makeup and tight spandex, they are still considered hair bands, like Cinderella, Def Leppard, Skid Row, Bon Jovi.

When I think of glam rock I think David Bowie, T Rex, Gary Glitter, Slade, the Sweet, even Queen. Slade were the original band who sung *** on Feel the Noize.

There is still a crossover though. Motley Crue and Twisted Sister could be considered crossover bands to some extent.
I've always had trouble distinguishing musical genres; although I am familar with many songs and bands. This new band: SCISSOR SISTERS....would they be considered a "newer" form of Glam Rock?????
Scissor Sisters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm adding ONE of their songs; just as a reference point>>>>>

YouTube - Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancing LIVE

Old 10-01-2010, 03:37 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Happy Friday, music lovers!

Old 10-01-2010, 04:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 11,562,228 times
Thank you BigSwede, Djuna, 6 Foot 3, and PITTSTON2SARASOTA

for voicing views explaining Glam and Hair meaning or to say Hair could be a bad term. The Chat is a good place to explain views since many read and can benefit. So many terms I didn't know... "glitter rock and glam rock".

Thursday, many rules again. We are warn now about no more continuing first person thread ownership to a thread's title so this will prepare us to say goodbye to a tradition here. Duplicate thread I am understanding is the same topic and not the same title with a different first poster.

Is there a rule on the number of threads one person can make, or can 1 person make many threads about different albums they like. Also if there are many songs they like on an album do they put all the songs in one post or can they put several posts next to each other without being accused of making the thread go to the top.

If anyone can answer these questions, Thank you.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:59 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,922,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShadow View Post

Thursday, many rules again.

She is no longer a mod. She said the only rules can be found in the TOS.

We are warn now about no more continuing first person thread ownership to a thread's title so this will prepare us to say goodbye to a tradition here. Duplicate thread I am understanding is the same topic and not the same title with a different first poster.

Goodbye to what tradition? If there are no rules, other than the TOS, why would we have to "say goodbye" to anything?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
Goodbye to what tradition? If there are no rules, other than the TOS, why would we have to "say goodbye" to anything?
Because you can no longer "automatically" rollover with your thread, and that seemed a "tradition" here... for the first poster to rollover with the thread.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:30 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightShadow View Post
Thank you BigSwede, Djuna, 6 Foot 3, and PITTSTON2SARASOTA

for voicing views explaining Glam and Hair meaning or to say Hair could be a bad term. The Chat is a good place to explain views since many read and can benefit. So many terms I didn't know... "glitter rock and glam rock".

Thursday, many rules again. We are warn now about no more continuing first person thread ownership to a thread's title so this will prepare us to say goodbye to a tradition here. Duplicate thread I am understanding is the same topic and not the same title with a different first poster.

Is there a rule on the number of threads one person can make, or can 1 person make many threads about different albums they like. Also if there are many songs they like on an album do they put all the songs in one post or can they put several posts next to each other without being accused of making the thread go to the top.

If anyone can answer these questions, Thank you.
Post what you want, however you want, as much as you want. The only rules about posting can be found here in the Terms of Service or TOS.

https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Bumping a thread is posting the word "bump" and not posting anything of merit to the thread.

You are correct, duplicates are the same topic, not necessarily the same title.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 PM

Thank you for answering my questions promptly Thursday. I appreciated being taken seriously.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:39 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,922,380 times
Shadow~It wasn't so much "a tradition." It was more an "informal protocol" amongst friends, many of whom are long term members. To behave otherwise would be considered "stealing one's thunder."

Saucy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music