Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 02:55 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Mongo View Post
This is a great thread!

I've had difficulty finding a good moderately priced (think $$ on Yelp) seafood place in the area. Someone above mentioned Brooklyn, which I will try. Any other recommendations?
The Brooklyn is good, but I've never thought of it as particularly reasonably priced( Think upper end of the Yelp $$). But that's maybe because I'm cheap. Chinook's at Fisherman's Terminal is a couple of dollars per entrée less expensive than the Brooklyn, and it's good too. For really reasonably priced seafood, I think you'd either need to go to a Chinese seafood place, like the Jade Garden or Honey Court in Chinatown, or one of the limited menu, casual places, like The Five Hooks Grill on Queen Anne, or the Burien Fish House, which has insanely great grilled halibut tacos and blackened salmon Po Boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 02:41 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Best fried chicken in Seattle, Heaven Sent: Heaven Sent Fried Chicken

Old 12-29-2015, 10:21 PM

Don't miss Kau Kau: very, very good BBQ duck and pork, 30 years a fixture in the International District in Seattle:

Kau Kau BBQ Restaurant

Old 12-30-2015, 04:22 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Seattle has crappy food unless you are willing to pay for it.. The exceptions lie in some of the hole in the walls on the U District strip and various little Eastern/Asian/Middle Eastern/Indian places on the Eastside.

Yeah, you pay $100 for those hand made tortellinis, you can bet they will probably be good or even great in any city you decide to wine and dine at.

Seattle, is an affluent city, so therefore caters to the palates of many affluent people. For the average Joes or Middle Class who want to eat out, you will struggle to find high quality eateries for a modest budget. Seattle is mostly corporate chains and underwhelming, overpriced food establishments. For example, the MExican restaurants in Seattle are dismal compared to many of those in the suburbs, such as in Everett, Kirkland or anywhere in the South Sound. Indian restaurants are always considerably cheaper and better outside the city limits of Seattle. People who keep raving about that crappy, bland, overpriced Taste of India or the rip-off and bland tasting India Bistro have never bothered travelling outside the city for the more authentic restaurants that are cheaper and much richer in flavor. As far as Italian goes, obviously, nothing beats a gourmet, 5-star/4-star Italian restaurant with an imported chef who cooks top quality gourmet Italian cuisine. Ironically, I can get the same gourmet and authentic quality Italian food from restaurants in Portland for a fraction the price of anywhere in Seattle. Machiavelli's is very overpriced, but deceives you by giving you the most minuscule portions imaginable and food with a very mediocre quality. A lot of Seattle apologists will rave about places like Machiavelli's, thinking its lower price tag is worthwhile of prestige. But, in reality, they give you mediocre quality cuisine, stale bread , small portions for a modest cost. You get less than what you pay for in Seattle, overall, IMO.

Pretty much Portland will rock Seattle's world any time, any day of the week for good quality eateries that you can afford. As far as gourmet, Portland still gives Seattle a run for its money and I think even comes out on top. However, cities like San Francisco, Chicago, New York and Miami blow Seattle into the water in the gourmet department and the price tag for the food is not considerably different. I remember wining and dining at some of San Francisco's most exquisite restaurants for a price pretty on par with Seattle's, yet a standard that may have been a notch above. The only difference is you may be required to dress up a little, whereas Seattle flannels and ripped jeans still can pass in a 5-star restaurant.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:44 AM

So wrong, my dear Rotse, see above.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:33 AM

Mayuri South Indian restaurant in Redmond is scrumptious:

Mayuri Indian Cuisine - Redmond and Bothell

John Hinterberger
The Seattle Times
"... in the case of Mayuri ... the mid-day spread is so colaborate, so generous and of such high quality that a visit is not only suggested, but repeated visits are probably inevitable."

Old 12-30-2015, 11:05 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Best fried chicken in Seattle, Heaven Sent: Heaven Sent Fried Chicken
Best? Oh, it's good, but it's virtually identical chicken to Ezell's, which is also good but not the best. I prefer Heaven Sent to Ezell's, because Ezell owns heaven Sent but not Ezells, which he used to own.
But best? Ma'Ono. Or Shuga Jazz Bistro in Renton, which is highly underrated for its food. Shuga also has the best shrimp and grits.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:28 PM

Classic old school Seattle experience: Mike's Chili Parlor in Ballard. Order a "big ass" (actually on the menu) bowl of that topped with raw onions, jalapeños and sour cream. Couple that tastiness with an ice cold Rainier beer, that's high living. And you though I was all haute and ethnic cuisine!

Link to Mike's: https://m.facebook.com/MikesChiliParlor/

Old 01-28-2016, 03:13 PM

"Facing East" Authentic Taiwanese Restaurant in Bellevue. Went here for the first time the other day, very good. Obviously others agree, the place was packed. I had the Taiwanese Pork Burger, Yearling Oysters in Black Pepper Sauce and Taiwan Highlands Oolong Tea. Here is the link: Facing East - 1283 Photos - Chinese - Bellevue, WA - Reviews - Menu - Yelp

Old 01-29-2016, 11:48 AM

There are 2 very good Ethiopian restaurants in Pinehurst, just north of Northgate:

Enat: Enat Ethiopian Restaurant - 36 Photos - Ethiopian - 11546 15th Ave NE - Seattle, WA - Reviews - Yelp

Jebena Cafe: Jebena Cafe - 112 Photos - Ethiopian - 1510 NE 117th St - Seattle, WA - Reviews - Yelp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area