Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: IYO... Are we about to experience a SHTF event
NO 42 37.17%
YES 21 18.58%
Very soon, less then 3 months 7 6.19%
In 6 months or so 8 7.08%
It will happen shortly, but last less then a month 1 0.88%
It will happen but gradually 16 14.16%
By next year big time event 3 2.65%
Absolutely, I'm expecting a form of civil war 11 9.73%
It will be a slow burn towards depression 16 14.16%
Our government will suspend the constitution and declare Marshall law 7 6.19%
other... explain 9 7.96%
Only wacko's believe in SHTF, not the town in Texas 8 7.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 05:40 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
In my county (Florida), the sheriff has publicly stated... if ever there was a federal ban on firearms, he would deputize every citizen who wanted to keep their firearms.
Like the armed IRS agents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 06:11 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
In my county (Florida), the sheriff has publicly stated... if ever there was a federal ban on firearms, he would deputize every citizen who wanted to keep their firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Too many rebels today content with just being keyboard warriors, they don't want to be away from their keyboards too long to get their hands dirty, or God forbid, man up and spend a day in Jail as a result of being in a Protest.
You have to learn that you never "threaten" the government.

Quote:
We can be thankful we don't follow the non-violent, more successful protesters in South America who merely block roads around the country when they're angry with the government.
What makes you think they are successful?

If you think that is success, you have a funny definition of success.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:32 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Preparation is useless as any SHTF scenario is not going to be short-lived. You may live longer than others if you have learned useful skills, but as far as preparation is concerned. In my opinion, it is useless.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.â€- Charles Darwin.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:40 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Well today is that day:

According to space experts, a massive solar flare has emerged from the Sun and will most likely hit the Earth on August 17, causing minor disruptions.

Its traveling at 1.3 million miles per hour and left the sun on Sunday.

Interesting info here, and fortunately not another Carrington event; for now.
We don't manufacture transformers, only S. Korea and one other country(whose name escapes me) overseas does so; would take years to replace them here.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

Old 08-18-2022, 07:53 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I think the current government has left us very vulnerable to another big terrorist event. In fact, it’s actions have facilitated it, buy things like open borders and the assassination of the ineffectual leader of the Taliban, leaving space for someone who will rally them.

When it happens, the current administration will not be equipped to deal with the consequences. I sure hope I’m wrong.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:26 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
You have to learn that you never "threaten" the government.

What makes you think they are successful?

If you think that is success, you have a funny definition of success.
Just before Evo Morales became President of Bolivia, the roads were blocked all over the country with boulders rolled into the roadways and overturned cars, and, largely, it was a success.

I was in Argentina in 2009 during the time the Farmers were protesting all over Argentina, I was caught up in one, a 4 hour delay and when I left Argentina at the last Restaurant, no beef, no chicken, no pork, some empty shelves in the grocery stores. And, no violence! I would say it was quite effective and they won their battle with the government.

Recently, they were blocking roads in Ecuador over high food prices.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:44 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Live life as if you will live forever, but be ready to die tomorrow. C'est la vie!

While I am not too thrilled about being in constant prep mode, such as where I am on food supplies, I suppose that is just the way it is now......but then again, that mode has been in place for the past 12-14 years, since was it, 2008, of that crisis?

Sigh, things change over time and nothing remains the same. The other day, I saw something humorous of how one of my liberal friends was talking about 2 parents working in the 2nd half of the 20th century when only 1 parent had to work in the first part. Humorous because it is similar to my conservative friends who ask why did the IRS come around when the country for 150 years before was able to do so much without them. Both sides think they have found the great Santini, errr, Satan, but are failing to take in account of how things change over time and really, not for some devious reason.....though there is always that possibility.

The way I like to see this picture is prepping is insurance and you know what they say about insurance:

INSURANCE! Once you have it, you don't need it!

Old 08-18-2022, 11:15 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
SHTF has already started, open your eyes, there is so much going on in both the US and UK, Europe and Asia.
Yeah, start with all the rivers and lakes that are drying up. Or, stick your head in the sand and pretend it's not happening.

Old 08-18-2022, 11:41 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Too many similar choices with the poll answers.

I used to believe and be worried about a singular black swan event (a sudden EMP strike) for example some sudden and dramatic to mark a clear destinction between life before shtf and life during SHTF.

Now I have changed my mind

I no longer think it's sudden nor dramatic but extremely anti climatic where every day we get incrementally closer. Everything is failing all around us. Look around. I hypothesize we will continue to slide further and further, sooner or later past the critical tipping point of no return where collapse is inevitable (if we aren't there already) an event will come along for example; ww3, another pandemic (real or fake it won't matter), the dollar loses it's status as global reserve currency etc something will happen and we won't be able to recover and when enough "normies" realize "oh crap" and the panic starts that's when the system breaks. We are well on the path to that occurring. I don't know what or when the trigger will be.

Old 08-18-2022, 11:48 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Too many similar choices with the poll answers.

I used to believe and be worried about a singular black swan event (a sudden EMP strike) for example some sudden and dramatic to mark a clear destinction between life before shtf and life during SHTF.

Now I have changed my mind

I no longer think it's sudden nor dramatic but extremely anti climatic where every day we get incrementally closer. Everything is failing all around us. Look around. I hypothesize we will continue to slide further and further, sooner or later past the critical tipping point of no return where collapse is inevitable (if we aren't there already) an event will come along for example; ww3, another pandemic (real or fake it won't matter), the dollar loses it's status as global reserve currency etc something will happen and we won't be able to recover and when enough "normies" realize "oh crap" and the panic starts that's when the system breaks. We are well on the path to that occurring. I don't know what or when the trigger will be.
Yes, that thing is climate change. We are frogs in a pot that is getting warmer and warmer and it is starting a soft boil... ...except the frog just dehydrates because there will not be enough water to boil...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness