Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:14 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times

Advertisements

There was nothing wrong with the parents obtaining lawyers early on. Police look first to the family in cases such as this.
Even so the Police treated the family with kid gloves from the start.
And while DNA evidence cleared the family from any direct wrong doing the whole thing seems "hinky" to me. The note written on a legal pad and the sum of money.
Still if it was nit a crime of passion (i.e. the result of a beating for bed wetting as was first suspected) I can not see what possible motivation they would have to have JonBenet killed?
A real mystery.
U did not like the family - they seemed phomy and the mother wore her Christianity on her sleave.
However as much as I thought that they were show offs and social climbers - I also thought that they were the type of people who liked to maintain a good public image.
Notice how they staged all of their greeting cards with the whole family dressed alike and the massive amount of money that Patsey Ramsey must have spent of photographs. I saw one very weird one with her biting a jewel encrusted cross she was wearing around her neck...odd.
She loved attention, jewels furs and was puzzled by the anyi fur sentiment that permeated her new Colorado home town.
They were all about pretense - even the little girls name reeked of nouveau riche pretentiousness.

SO why would such a status driven woman want to add murder to her resume?

It does not fit - except in this one scenario which I admit is a bit far fetched.
Some sort of bizarre permutation of Munchhausen's syndrome by proxy.
Love Patsey or hate her or somewhere in between - the woman craved attention.
Beauty pageants, lavish parties, dramatic names for her children, flaunting her involvement with charity events, mactchy clothes for her kids - by all accounts she went all out for everything with none of the casual restraint of the truly classy - who usually choose to keep a lower profile - especially for the safety of their children.

What if she WANTED MORE ATTENTION? I know it's a horrible thought but that letter was linked to her hand writing. and the ransom note has always bothered me.
Wealthy people can be just as crazy and mean as poor ones.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:24 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,669,312 times
I actually think that the touch DNA is a red herring, only. It seems like it doesn't quantify as DNA evidence persay, and there's plenty of experts that agree it's meaningless. Could be,basically, a "co-incidental" finding of some sort. It seems the DA is grasping. Some experts feel that it could have been there for a significant time before the "event." It feels very wishy-washy, at best.
Most of the evidence seems to come from someone inside that home--the note could not be excluded from the mom only--everyone else cleared. And, who would take that length of time to compose such a note--in the home? Do pediphiles stick around that long?? And, if it was a kidnapping, how come the child wasn't actually taken? You go to the extreme of staying there and writing it, then kill the child and leave anyways? And, on and on. The footprint and broken window were possible intruder theory back-ups, but where they anything? I also think that it being Christmas is significant. If there's any dysfunction in a family, it usually goes into high gear around the holidays due to added stress.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
I agree that dysfunctional families go into high gear on the holidays.
The mother thrived on attention. The note does not make sense - the time it took etc.

DNA just rules out direct involvement.

Read my post above.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:13 AM

26,758 posts, read 26,856,992 times
I cannot for the life of me figure out how this murder continues to remain unresolved.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:54 AM

471 posts, read 1,063,398 times
CA4Now, I feel that the murder will never be solved (at least not until some very distant future where we can repair broken DNA, and trace it to a person, without needing them to be present). The case was so botched up that there really is hardly anything that can be done now.

Btw, I know that "Alexis" John Mark Karr Alexis Reich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has been found to have no involvement with the case, s/hes still a creepy dude and should be locked up for being so creepy (looking).

Old 07-04-2010, 09:01 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Some years back I took a basic class on handwriting analysis. Pretty interesting class--it can get more involved, but there are certain traits that give away if the writer is lying to others (or even to themselves/in denial about something) among other things. The instructor had worked with police on cases, and someone in the class asked about the Ramsey note. The instructor's response was "Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and that must be kept in mind first and foremost; however, it is the opinion of most handwriting analysts that the letter was written by someone in the family."

That always stuck with me, though I see the OP's source says differently.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:24 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,576,699 times
A well known handwritting expert states its 99.9% certain John Mark Karr
(remember this guy) wrote the ransom note.

Handwriting expert points finger at Karr : JonBenet Ramsey : The Rocky Mountain News

Old 07-05-2010, 08:21 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,669,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Some years back I took a basic class on handwriting analysis. Pretty interesting class--it can get more involved, but there are certain traits that give away if the writer is lying to others (or even to themselves/in denial about something) among other things. The instructor had worked with police on cases, and someone in the class asked about the Ramsey note. The instructor's response was "Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and that must be kept in mind first and foremost; however, it is the opinion of most handwriting analysts that the letter was written by someone in the family."

That always stuck with me, though I see the OP's source says differently.

I think the mother is the only one they couldn't exclude, from many other handwritings, but I always thought that the long, long note written right at the house (time enough for the killer to drink some tea and eat some crumpets, along with writing a letter) spoke volumes more than the actual "handwriting analysis."

Old 07-05-2010, 09:55 AM

26,758 posts, read 26,856,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
I feel that the murder will never be solved. The case was so botched up that there really is hardly anything that can be done now.
From the link you posted to the autopsy report, I was unnerved to read that the way she was killed led investigators to believe that "someone really hated this little girl." It's really disturbing to think that anyone could even conceive of that kind of emotion toward a small child.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:48 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,500,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
From the link you posted to the autopsy report, I was unnerved to read that the way she was killed led investigators to believe that "someone really hated this little girl." It's really disturbing to think that anyone could even conceive of that kind of emotion toward a small child.
With each new case of horrifying cruelty to children and adults--young college-aged women in particular--I am more disgusted. Apparently there are those among us who are severely tormented in ways that are inexplicable to the majority.

I wouldn't want my child in beauty contests and I would be wary of posting pics online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime