Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 03:48 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The funny thing is, most of the ones that survive are in smaller cities like Helena or Charlottesville, Va.
The indoor mall was torn down and converted to mixed use. Mostly commercial space. The walking mall has fared really well. We were at the Rialto bar Friday night for a friends birthday celebration. The mall was hopping after 6pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 07:39 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
What is a "walking mall"; you mean a previously traffic street converted to pedestrian use?

No protection from the weather there, so there's probably not much "walking in the rain"...

Old 01-09-2024, 08:58 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
I think they mean "outdoor mall." These are malls where you get entrance to each store from outdoors (not some massive building where you are under cover).

There's also "mall walking" where they open up an indoor mall for seniors to walk in during the morning before the mall is open.

Gosh been a long time since I set foot in any mall.

Old 01-09-2024, 09:49 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I think they mean "outdoor mall." These are malls where you get entrance to each store from outdoors (not some massive building where you are under cover).

There's also "mall walking" where they open up an indoor mall for seniors to walk in during the morning before the mall is open.

Gosh been a long time since I set foot in any mall.
Actually, Theerun was talking about a pedestrianized street, not a mall as you're using the term.

These are downtown Main Streets that were closed to vehicles and given over to pedestrians; these are also often called "malls" but aren't built from scratch, stores and all. If you look at the pictures Theerun posted a few posts upthread, it should be clear that this is what Helena has, not a "mall" as you're using the term.

Old 01-09-2024, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Actually, Theerun was talking about a pedestrianized street, not a mall as you're using the term.

These are downtown Main Streets that were closed to vehicles and given over to pedestrians; these are also often called "malls" but aren't built from scratch, stores and all. If you look at the pictures Theerun posted a few posts upthread, it should be clear that this is what Helena has, not a "mall" as you're using the term.
Yeah, an outdoor mall is different than a downtown area.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:24 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yeah, an outdoor mall is different than a downtown area.
And I suspect that the outdoor malls you have in mind are the newer ersatz-Main-Street ones like Main Street at Exton outside Philadelphia.

(The silo you see at the end of the street in the Google Street View I posted is not attached to a barn. I don't know whether it was already standing on the site when the mall was built, but it now marks the entrance to a Walmart.)

At least this ersatz Main Street includes some buildings with apartments over the stores. I've seen a few of these that don't even have those.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
And I suspect that the outdoor malls you have in mind are the newer ersatz-Main-Street ones like Main Street at Exton outside Philadelphia.

(The silo you see at the end of the street in the Google Street View I posted is not attached to a barn. I don't know whether it was already standing on the site when the mall was built, but it now marks the entrance to a Walmart.)

At least this ersatz Main Street includes some buildings with apartments over the stores. I've seen a few of these that don't even have those.

No, more like an outdoor mall in Palo Alto or the one in Walnut Creek. The general area was my stomping ground for 15 years.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:21 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Well, I'll be honest, I'm not following the detailed differences between "Main street shopping district with stores along the street, closed to autos" and "purpose built place with stores organized along streets, closed to autos" but I will point out that what seems reasonable in a place like Palo Alto will be found a whole lot less popular when you try to induce folks to walk around outside in Texas in August when the sidewalks are approaching the temperature of the sun's surface, or Duluth in February when it's -20 and blowing with 30 mph winds.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, I'll be honest, I'm not following the detailed differences between "Main street shopping district with stores along the street, closed to autos" and "purpose built place with stores organized along streets, closed to autos" but I will point out that what seems reasonable in a place like Palo Alto will be found a whole lot less popular when you try to induce folks to walk around outside in Texas in August when the sidewalks are approaching the temperature of the sun's surface, or Duluth in February when it's -20 and blowing with 30 mph winds.

Yes, they are where they are for a reason.

One time I lived in Texas for nine months. Ugh! Tornadoes, cockroaches, bugs in general... torrential downpours every afternoon. mugginess. Just no thanks.

I did Alaska in the 80's and I'm not doing Duluth.

I am at the 45th parallel and we have a temperate climate that is 85% of the time between 45 degrees and 85 degrees (and boy does 80 degrees feel hot here).

Old 01-10-2024, 08:42 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Yeah, indoor malls were pretty darned practical when it comes to weather. Not sure why or how they fell into disfavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning