Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 08:31 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'll say. Talk about stereotyping!

And I hate to break it to PossumMan, but odds are that his beloved local enclosed mall is increasingly bereft of tenants and will either close or be "demalled" to save itself as a result.*

Goodbye enclosed mall, hello ersatz Main Street.

*Here in the Philadelphia area, two malls — Granite Run outside Media and the former Echelon Mall, now Voorhees Town Center, in New Jersey — have demalled themselves and turned into open-air promenades or faux Main Streets. A third, Plymouth Meeting, appears to be on life support.
That's something I don't understand. Weather hasn't changed and in many places it's blazing hot in summer, or cold in the winter, or raining. Almost like another California trend that's getting built around the country even though most of the country isn't California. I understand the desire. We loved shopping in the mall around Stanford and PaloAlto. But where I am now? It's 30 degrees and pouring rain. I have no desire to walk around a mall gettiing soaked.

A couple of towns around here in middle Tennessee are trying to duplicate what they did in downtown Franklin (very nice small city) but they don't have the upper middle-class money to shop in the trendy stores and eat in the trendy restaurants. The working-class folks in those towns are just going to Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2024, 09:54 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
...Almost like another California trend that's getting built around the country even though most of the country isn't California....
Yeah, there's a builder around here (North Texas) that specializes in these houses with a living room that's separated from the patio by a glass garage door that you're supposed to roll up and make the whole house open-air "in nice weather". Obviously inspired by life in the temperate parts of California. Obviously has NEVER been outdoors in "nice weather" in Texas. You roll that garage door up in "nice weather" here and you'll be swatting mosquitoes in your bedroom for weeks. There's a reason why every traditional house in Texas has screens on the windows!

I'm personally sick and tired of the idea that every single place in the US has to look like and act like California. From flat roofs and floor-to-ceiling windows in New England (wow, look at the oil tank indicator drop!) to "outdoor rooms" in Texas (shall we go out to the "outdoor room" for dinner? It's only 98 degrees and 75% RH here in August) - and the ubiquitous "all houses must be white and black" - just leave us alone, OK?

Old 01-13-2024, 11:57 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,990 times
Quote:
That's something I don't understand. Weather hasn't changed and in many places it's blazing hot in summer, or cold in the winter, or raining. Almost like another California trend that's getting built around the country even though most of the country isn't California. I understand the desire. We loved shopping in the mall around Stanford and PaloAlto. But where I am now? It's 30 degrees and pouring rain. I have no desire to walk around a mall gettiing soaked.

A couple of towns around here in middle Tennessee are trying to duplicate what they did in downtown Franklin (very nice small city) but they don't have the upper middle-class money to shop in the trendy stores and eat in the trendy restaurants. The working-class folks in those towns are just going to Walmart.
Indoor malls can be very expensive to run(heating/cooling). Between the over retailing(far too many malls built between 1980-2000) and even worse the internet, smaller outdoor centers are what are more profitable.

Old 01-13-2024, 12:32 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:

I was born and raised in the city that's home to the nation's first planned shopping center, the century-old Country Club Plaza in Kansas City.

It's incorporated into the fabric of the neighborhoods surrounding it: Its shops face streets that are part of the city grid. They have offices over them. On the opposite bank of the creek that flows past it on its south side are the apartment buildings that house Kansas City's urban cliff dwellers.

Kansas City winters are colder (and these days snowier) than those on either coast and its summers are hotter, though nowhere near as toasty as those in Arizona. In the spring, it gets rain and tornadoes, and the summers are sticky as well. Yet the Plaza hasn't lost its appeal. Meanwhile, a mid-1950s suburban mall that covered itself and three other enclosed malls built in the 1970s in KC's suburbs have all been bulldeozed.

And while most of the ultra-luxe retailers that were in it when I visited it pre-pandemic have followed the serious money out to Leawood in Johnson County, it's still pretty upscale, certainly more so than when I was growing up there (Sears was one of its anchor stores, and it had a supermarket and a bowling alley, but it also had branches of KC's now-defunct carriage-trade department store, Emery Bird Thayer, and an outlet of Halls, the high-end boutiquey department store run by the family that owns Kansas City-based Hallmark Cards).

Put another way, outdoor shopping centers predate enclosed malls by about 30 years (the first one of those opened outside Detroit in 1955). Regardless what the weather, they seem to have an enduring appeal.

Old 01-22-2024, 03:07 PM

62 posts, read 19,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Yeah, there's a builder around here (North Texas) that specializes in these houses with a living room that's separated from the patio by a glass garage door that you're supposed to roll up and make the whole house open-air ”in nice weather”. Obviously inspired by life in the temperate parts of California. Obviously has NEVER been outdoors in ”nice weather” in Texas. You roll that garage door up in ”nice weather” here and you'll be swatting mosquitoes in your bedroom for weeks. There's a reason why every traditional house in Texas has screens on the windows!

I'm personally sick and tired of the idea that every single place in the US has to look like and act like California. From flat roofs and floor-to-ceiling windows in New England (wow, look at the oil tank indicator drop!) to ”outdoor rooms” in Texas (shall we go out to the ”outdoor room” for dinner? It's only 98 degrees and 75% RH here in August) - and the ubiquitous ”all houses must be white and black” - just leave us alone, OK?
The term ”Breezeway” comes to mind for me. It was common in the 1960s UP NORTH for ranch-style homes including modular ones (two halves make the home). It was common when I was a boy and my more prosperous Aunt and Uncle (him being a teamsters truck driver in the glory days of wages/benefits +pensions) who had one built in the 1960s.

The breezeway has an open area with a full roof between the garage and main home. The roofs were all one and uniformly built across the home. Many in an early suburb were modular that today still stand proud some fully brick now with additions and as most did in redoing the breezeway a full enclosed new room as a den etc. That is what my relatives did as their first change with a huge fireplace perhaps already into the 70s. All today did that..

The style and meaning of breezway here.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/201...for-breezeways

Windows are rarely a whole house. Minimalism/less-is-more was a Modernist Mid-20th century thing. It gave us some glass modernist 1-story ranch homes that never became common and all those glass-boxes of buildings we get today as office buildings and others common in Texas as anywhere. Skyscrapers became standard for glass exterior curtain walls also including residential whether in hot regions or areas that get frigid. We clearly have upgraded glass today that can hold back Texas heat and the sun along with cold areas with real winters.

California gave us the ”ranch home”. That became the ”standard” for suburban growth as Texas adopted it that is till the McMansion caught on that became multiple levels. LA gets higher density in its huge suburban areas even with ranch varieties with good size yards. They get their density from being ”continuous” few parks added and need for floodplain set aside. SF is their most dense city in the nation. Its suburban Bay region is far less though still can be single-homes. NYC no other city will ever be as it but for pockets.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:58 AM

1,215 posts, read 504,710 times
The nicest one I have been to is the Fashion Island in Newport Beach. And the pedestrian mall is surrounded by a bunch of Class A office buildings, hotels etc. Opened in 1967. Same owner The Irvine Company.
Fashion Island - Shopping, Dining and Entertainment | Newport Beach

More compact entertainment based one, across the river from Cincy.

About Us | Newport on the Levee in Newport, KY

Old 03-11-2024, 11:41 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
I suppose one could make an argument for the Riverwalk in San Antonio as a pedestrian shopping mall.

https://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning