Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 22,112 times

Advertisements

So here's the thing...I've read this thread, in preparation for my move. I've also been looking on Craigslist to gain an understanding of the rental market. Being from Boston, one could find studios and one bedrooms around 1200-1400. In looking on Craigslist Dc I'm finding is that these apartments don't look to be as expensive as posters are saying. I understand that Craigslist may be filled with scams, but I'm finding decent one bedrooms, not in South East, for 1200. What'd I'd like to know is if this is a reasonable expectation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 24,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanKnowledge View Post
So here's the thing...I've read this thread, in preparation for my move. I've also been looking on Craigslist to gain an understanding of the rental market. Being from Boston, one could find studios and one bedrooms around 1200-1400. In looking on Craigslist Dc I'm finding is that these apartments don't look to be as expensive as posters are saying. I understand that Craigslist may be filled with scams, but I'm finding decent one bedrooms, not in South East, for 1200. What'd I'd like to know is if this is a reasonable expectation?
Im having this same issue as well. What are we missing? Amenities?

Old 09-25-2015, 02:20 PM

18 posts, read 57,255 times
Default Moving to DC area soon

Hey guys I''ll be working in tysons corner area soon and will be relocating. I've been considering dc and nova and would like some more input based on my ideal apt.

Rent: $2000-2400 max (including utilities, parking, gym, etc.)
Don't want a drive more than 30 min in morning/evening commute
Newer apt with hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, 1 bed 1 bath (no roommates)
Want to be near nightlife and a metro station

While I know living in Arlington area will probably be cheaper/faster commute, dc is where all the young people go out and I'd like to be a quick metro ride to u street area (don't want to do 30 min metro to nova at 2am on weekends)

Please let me know if you have suggestions, thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-23-2016, 05:38 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,352 times
This isn't what ravage9218 is looking for but for what it's worth to other folks, I found a 1 br apartment at McLean Chase for $1375. It may be older construction but it's inside the beltway, 800 sq ft, washer & dryer included, gas stove & heating, 15-20 minute walk from the metro station, and it's right in the middle of a business park because most of my neighbors appear to be young professionals. It's not a ritzy place for the price, but it's leaps and bounds beyond the usual dumps I was finding for similar prices. For a nice apartment on a tight budget, it's really hard to beat.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:28 AM

6 posts, read 26,609 times
About me - 28 year old male. Plans have recently changed where it appears I will be moving down single. Looking for a good area to meet people/make friends.

1. Do I need to be by a metro rail? Would I be okay if I were on a bus line?
No - my job requires a car. I am comfortable with paying for a dedicated parking spot if required.

2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?)
Ideally, I'd prefer to be less than 30 minutes, but I'd say up to a max of 45 minutes. Commute is important to me to make sure I can have a life outside of work. (I was commuting about 1.5 hours each way to NY)

3. Would I be willing to live with a roommate or multiple roommates?
I think I would prefer roommates, doing a room share would enable to meet a group of people, as well as have some local insight.

4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer?
A/C is the only one REQUIRED (although if they allow window units I am okay), but I'd prefer W/D in the building. A Gym in in the building would be a big perk.

5. What is the absolute maximum, with utilities and any fees, I can afford?
I don't believe I'll have an issue, currently selling my home in NJ where I pay ~2,700/month + utilities.

6. What is my definition of safe?
I'm a bigger guy, not overly concerned, but would like a nicer area where I don't have to worry much about property damage or bringing friends etc over.

7. How important is nightlife? family community? schools?
So I'm not sure if Nightlife is the right word for it, but I think it is very important. I am not a club/crazy party type of person, but am really hoping for a lot of different types of activities (live music, bars to hang out and grab a drink, different "events" like paint nites / open mic / comedy shows etc)

I guess my "ideal" scenario is I would find an 3-4 BR type apartment in an area with events (like I've listed above), where I can walk to a parking garage / dedicated spot, and have a short commute to Seat Pleasant area (office is located out there but clients are throughout DC / VA / MD beltway area).

Old 08-04-2019, 01:48 PM

80 posts, read 86,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Breathing Fire View Post
I've colored coded the areas where one should use caution or avoid. If your new to the area don't move to the red areas or the orange coded ones in NE, SE, or PG county. The orange in NW only denotes housing projects.

Crime Areas in the DC region - Google Maps

I'll update the map frequently.
uh the link doesn't work, maybe its because im a little late hmm

Old 08-17-2021, 05:52 PM

42 posts, read 43,856 times
Can anyone suggest names for decent apartment complexes in the Navy Yard/Waterfront area? Looking for something around 2K or less for 1BR within walk to the Metro. Prefer info from people with actual knowledge of the places through personal experience or acquaintances. I know DC, just haven't lived in the area in a while. Thanks!

Last edited by 1A12; 08-17-2021 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-19-2021, 09:52 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A12 View Post
Can anyone suggest names for decent apartment complexes in the Navy Yard/Waterfront area? Looking for something around 2K or less for 1BR within walk to the Metro. Prefer info from people with actual knowledge of the places through personal experience or acquaintances. I know DC, just haven't lived in the area in a while. Thanks!

Foundry Lofts and 1212. I lived in both and loved them. My preference is 1212 but Foundry is probably cheaper. You might be able to get a studio for under 2k but I doubt a 1 bedroom. There are also places closer to the ballpark but not sure about the rents.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:48 PM

42 posts, read 43,856 times
Since my last post in August, I've had a change of plans. Considering a job near judiciary square so this changes my plans a bit. Kind of looking for suggestions from people on good neighborhoods (and in particular good buildings) in which to rent a 1BR. I lived in the Metro area for about a decade but it's been nearly that since I've been away and when I did live there it was Rosslyn. I liked it there but found VA a little too stuffy. I'd like to find a decent community with an easy commute and preferred budget for a 1BR unit would be $2500 or so. Would prefer some diversity including sexual orientation, race/nationality, economics. BTW: Seeking suggestions only on where to live not how to live. I've got the latter part down.
Thanks!

Old 12-29-2021, 05:11 PM

211 posts, read 237,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A12 View Post
Since my last post in August, I've had a change of plans. Considering a job near judiciary square so this changes my plans a bit. Kind of looking for suggestions from people on good neighborhoods (and in particular good buildings) in which to rent a 1BR. I lived in the Metro area for about a decade but it's been nearly that since I've been away and when I did live there it was Rosslyn. I liked it there but found VA a little too stuffy. I'd like to find a decent community with an easy commute and preferred budget for a 1BR unit would be $2500 or so. Would prefer some diversity including sexual orientation, race/nationality, economics. BTW: Seeking suggestions only on where to live not how to live. I've got the latter part down.
Thanks!
Adams Morgan or Shaw neighborhoods would fit your preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC