Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 PM

13 posts, read 33,854 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving from Seattle to DC for a job with my fiancee in around a month, and I'm feeling rather overwhelmed by the idea of finding a place to live, so I'm hoping to throw this out there for some educated input. I will have a job right off the bat (about $3,400 per month after taxes) but my fiancee will not. So we will be on the one income for however long it takes him to find a general admin job. Here are my details:

1. Do I need to be by a metro rail? Would I be okay if I were on a bus line?

Transit of some kind is a MUST. I don't have a car. Which is not to say I never will...I just don't right now, so that's the reality of the moment. I'm not picky about bus vs rail, but I just don't want it to be an ordeal

2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?)

I'd like to commute no more than 30 minutes a day, if possible, but this can be flexible if this is a requirement that must flex. I will be working in the area just off the gallery place/chinatown stop.

3. Would I be willing to live with a roommate or multiple roommates?

No roommates please. Just my significant other. And our cat.

4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer?

My cat is coming with me. Other amenities are not terribly necessary. I guess in order of priority it is 1. cats allowed. 2. a/c 3. washer/dryer 4. gym. But really, only the cat is required.

5. What is the absolute maximum, with utilities and any fees, I can afford?

Is $1600 a reasonable target? It is steep while I'm the only income, but I hope this won't be forever.

6. What is my definition of safe?

Physical safety is my biggest concern. I don't want to live in a place that feels hostile. Of course I don't want to be mugged. It would be silly to say "yeah, I'm fine with being mugged. whatever" and I understand the nature of the city is that this is a risk anywhere. It's a risk here in Seattle, too, albeit small.

7. How important is nightlife? family community? schools?

Nightlife? Don't care for it, really. Schools aren't an issue right now, either, and it'd be a long time before it would be for us. A family community sounds nice, but seeing as we don't really have a family yet, either, not totally necessary. But I imagine it's sorta the feel I like.

Also, is Craigslist REALLY the best way to find apartments? It feels like such a disorganized crapshoot, and is especially hard if you aren't familiar with the area.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by ClaireD; 07-20-2012 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: forgot some stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM

792 posts, read 2,872,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireD View Post
It's a risk here in Seattle, too, albeit small.
DC feels like the parts of Seattle I avoided going to.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 17,357 times
Well, I'm interested in getting some help. Moving from Minneapolis to DC to work at the Hill. I understand that it's generally a good idea to move to the Hill under those circumstances, but those seem to be pretty expensive. Also considering the suburbs - my understanding is that Arlington and Silver Spring are the two best bets? Single low 20s male.

Anyways, my response to the questions:

Have a car. I'd like to be by a metro rail, but I'm honestly more concerned about having reliable parking. Don't care one way or another by the bus.

2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?)
Anything above 50 minutes for me would be problematic.

No more than one.

4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer?
Having a washer/dryer somewhere within the apartment is the big thing. Gym and a/c are nice, but not all that important, and I have no pets.

Ideally, 1250. Can push it up to 1400, and not factoring in utilities at all in those calcs.

I like late-night strolls, so I am fairly concerned about it.

I think if there's two things I would like - I need to be within thirty-forty minutes of a legitimate Asian food store. I'd also like ( though this isn't a huge priority) a library nearby, and by that I mean a legitimate research library - I'm a little confused about how ordinary people can actually use the Library of Congress. Nightlife and bars I'm not that concerned with.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:56 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzchian View Post
Well, I'm interested in getting some help. Moving from Minneapolis to DC to work at the Hill. I understand that it's generally a good idea to move to the Hill under those circumstances, but those seem to be pretty expensive. Also considering the suburbs - my understanding is that Arlington and Silver Spring are the two best bets? Single low 20s male.

Anyways, my response to the questions:

Have a car. I'd like to be by a metro rail, but I'm honestly more concerned about having reliable parking. Don't care one way or another by the bus.

Anything above 50 minutes for me would be problematic.

No more than one.

Having a washer/dryer somewhere within the apartment is the big thing. Gym and a/c are nice, but not all that important, and I have no pets.

Ideally, 1250. Can push it up to 1400, and not factoring in utilities at all in those calcs.

I like late-night strolls, so I am fairly concerned about it.

I think if there's two things I would like - I need to be within thirty-forty minutes of a legitimate Asian food store. I'd also like ( though this isn't a huge priority) a library nearby, and by that I mean a legitimate research library - I'm a little confused about how ordinary people can actually use the Library of Congress. Nightlife and bars I'm not that concerned with.
You definitely can find a place with one roommate for under $1250 on the Hill. You also could find a studio on the Hill for under $1400 probably.

If you work on the Hill, you really can't beat living there. It's a nice neighborhood even if you don't work for Congress.

The suburbs really aren't that much cheaper than the city until you start to get really far out, or not at all near a metro station. The parts of Arlington and Silver Spring close to the metro are still pretty expensive and really not that much cheaper than the Hill, or at least, not cheaper enough to justify the much longer commute.

Plenty of people who live on the Hill have cars. I'm one of them. You just get the residential parking permit when you register your car in DC and just park on the street for free.

If by "reliable parking" you mean having your own parking spot, understand that unlike cities like Minneapolis where off-street parking is common, in DC that will be a luxury you'll have to pay a lot of money for if you want it, either in extra rent for a place with a spot or by renting a private spot for $100+ a month. In my opinion, completely not worth it considering you can pay nothing and just put up with the small inconvenience of looking for a spot on the street.

Besides, if you live on the Hill, you'll probably be walking to work, not driving, and you'll be able to walk to many other things. You won't be driving nearly as much as you probably do in Minneapolis.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 16,942 times
Default Want to move to Dc or Boston

Hi, I need advise on which state should I move to with a toddler. Little bit about my self. I'm in my late 20s, single with a baby boy that's 4yrs old. I lived in Fl, all my life n I want to move to Dc or Boston. Never vist the states. I'm looking for a cheap two bedroom, safe, good jobs, n good schools for me n my son.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 AM

132 posts, read 355,136 times
I think it's time to update this sticky. It is perfectly safe to walk around SW Waterfront and Navy Yard at night. Give me a break!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 AM

25 posts, read 52,902 times
Hi,

My wife and are looking at a move back to the US from London - I'm a Brit, she an American. We want to go to Phily, to be close to her family but my work might only have a positon in Washington DC. I don't know much about the area - I've been once for a weekend and just did the touristy stuff. I'd welcome some views.......

My job would be based in Tyson's Corner in VA. We are moving out of London as we need more space, I want a less busy commute (yes, I know Washington is bad but I am sick of riding in a packed train each morning - a 45 min car ride is better than a 45 min commute in rush hour in London) and we want somewhere we can do more active stuff like cycle, take the dog for walks etc. An active nightlife etc is not important - we've lived in London and New York for a combined period of 13 years, so are done with that.

We wouldn't know anyone in DC, so it would be good to go somewhere where we could meet people though social clubs/groups etc (golf, food and drink, cylcing clubs etc)

Probably having kids soon but don't have any at the moment. Wife is a teacher, so would be looking for a nice school to teach at.

Being from London we are used to diversity and like meeting different people.

Is DC for us???

Old 09-17-2012, 08:55 AM

132 posts, read 355,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richakn View Post
Hi,

My wife and are looking at a move back to the US from London - I'm a Brit, she an American. We want to go to Phily, to be close to her family but my work might only have a positon in Washington DC. I don't know much about the area - I've been once for a weekend and just did the touristy stuff. I'd welcome some views.......

My job would be based in Tyson's Corner in VA. We are moving out of London as we need more space, I want a less busy commute (yes, I know Washington is bad but I am sick of riding in a packed train each morning - a 45 min car ride is better than a 45 min commute in rush hour in London) and we want somewhere we can do more active stuff like cycle, take the dog for walks etc. An active nightlife etc is not important - we've lived in London and New York for a combined period of 13 years, so are done with that.

We wouldn't know anyone in DC, so it would be good to go somewhere where we could meet people though social clubs/groups etc (golf, food and drink, cylcing clubs etc)

Probably having kids soon but don't have any at the moment. Wife is a teacher, so would be looking for a nice school to teach at.

Being from London we are used to diversity and like meeting different people.

Is DC for us???
I think the DC area would be perfect for you. I would reccommend living in the suburbs, and actually there are some great places to live in the Tyson's Corner and Vienna area. These are very diverse suburbs where people from every corner of the world live. You may also consider the Reston, VA area which was recently noted as one of the best areas to live in the USA. If you ever feel like you miss the hustle and bustle of the city, DC is only a 30 -45 minute drive from the later mentioned locations. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 PM

69 posts, read 138,226 times
Hi!
I could definitely use some help on pinpointing neighborhoods to look at and would be grateful for any input that anyone has.
I just landed a non-profit job in Old Town Alexandria, and am trying to figure out a place to live. I'll be relocating from NYC. I start in one week and a half, so time is short and I need to move ASAP.

Arlington is ideal, as it would place me right between my work area (Alexandria) and my play zone (DC), but I can be flexible. I'd like to avoid most parts of Maryland, unless the commute to work will be easy.
I've been doing craigslist without too much success, so I was wondering if it is possible to have what I want in my budget.

Metro line is definitely a must. I can't drive (planning to start lessons when I get down there), so my only way of getting around is going to be public transportation. I went to undergrad in DC and used the metro to go everywhere and anywhere, so I'm very comfortable and familiar with the metro as well. Any color line is okay.
The bus is also okay, but I'd much prefer to not use it. In my experience, some lines can be unreliable or only come every 45 minutes or some insane thing like that.

45 minutes to one hour is a comfortable commute for me, by way of metro. Again, I'm working in Old Town, and need to get into either Braddock or King Street metro, in order to begin the trek to my job.
I'm also okay with walking up to .75 of a mile to reach the metro from where I would be living.

Roommates are pretty much my only hope at life with my salary, so yes LOL.
I'd like to cut it off at 4 roommates, so 5 people the house in total, counting me.

The amenities I need are a washer and dryer either in the building or preferably in the unit as well as Ac and heating controllable by tenants (prefer central, but other kinds are good too). Wi-Fi is a must too, but I don't know if that counts lol.

$800 is the most I'm willing to spend.

For me, safe is somewhere that I can walk home alone at night past midnight and the odds will still be that nothing will happen to me. And when I say that, I mean like...sober, wits about me, eyes peeled, headphones off, valuables tucked firmly into my purse, purse lodged firmly under my armpit like a golden football, iron grip on the straps, walking at a brisk clip, talking to no strangers, and stopping for no one but Jesus (and only if He shows ID).
Pretty much, I would prefer a neighborhood where if I behave smartly, my smarts will be rewarded with safe passage. So not the jungle.

Family community and schools mean nothing.
Nightlife is not important to moderately important. I can do without, but it would be fun to have somewhere within walking distance where I can pop in for a happy hour.
What's most important actually is grocery availability...Teeter Harris, Safeway, Giant, etc. within walking distance is overwhelmingly preferred. I love to cook and while I would be okay whipping up margaritas to enjoy at home because there are no bars, I would be absolutely miserable if I couldn't walk to the grocery store.

Any advice you guys could offer would be immensely appreciated!
Thanks!!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM

560 posts, read 1,129,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Regarding Maryland, yes MoCo is generally safer but there's some parts of Silver Spring which are downright shady. I'd say anything beyond Downtown Silver Spring is hit and miss. I didn't know Wheaton was now incorporated into Silver Spring. It can be confusing.

I think if you make at least $50K w/no debt, you would be able to afford a 1 bedroom. Are studios still popular? Wouldn't it be awkward if you wanted a small get together at your crib and as soon as you walk in, you're in my bedroom area? How does this work?

Also something to keep in mind with the expensive apartments/condos, you're paying for location, not the actual apartment. Notice how the first things these website mention is Metro, shopping, restaurants. The apartment features are usually mentioned last. Can't ever see myself paying $2K for a 1 bedroom apartment in Columbia Heights (which is what Highland Park is charging).
I love that, "MoCo". You should name all the areas surrounding DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC