Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 AM

8 posts, read 39,509 times

Advertisements

DCAdvocate: I understand where you're coming from and appreciate your interest in helping others have a more up-to-date perspective on safety and other concerns.

I'm new to this Forum and would appreciate it if you'd take a look at my post on the NOVA Forum...would love to know your comments.

Thank you very much.

Imgrateful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 18,612 times
Default oy

I read through this entire thread, as I'm seeking advice on ensconcing myself in DC. I had to relocate very quickly and find myself in an unsustainable extended-stay apartment for the next 1-2 months as I look for something permanent. Work starts next week, and it's at the eastern end of U St. -- which I love, but it doesn't work for what I make.

With so many recent trends in gentrification around DC, I'm having a real hard time finding housing that fits my income, even outside the district boundary. I want to keep it to about $800- $1,000 / mo. in rent at the absolute most for a studio or single bedroom that's under a mile walk to green line stops.

What would help me is a sketch of possibilities in the different neighborhoods at the tail end of the green line -- from Greenbelt to Fort Totten, skipping most of DC, but including Waterfront on out. I suspect those are really my only options.

1. Do I need to be by a metro rail? Would I be okay if I were on a bus line?
yes and yes.

2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?) Don't think I have the luxury to choose.

3. Would I be willing to live with a roommate or multiple roommates? No.

4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer? AC would be nice, same with wash/dryer.

5. What is the absolute maximum, with utilities and any fees, I can afford? 1200

6. What is my definition of safe? I'm from New York, and I've lived in DC already. Not too worried about it, but would rather not be bothered by anything except occasional crime.

7. How important is nightlife? family community? schools? I'm single and have friends elsewhere, so local nightlife isn't top priority.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:18 PM

8 posts, read 28,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
The worst that can happen is that they say no.
That's a pretty major worst thing though!!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:28 PM

9 posts, read 31,215 times
Hello. It's possible my husband may take transfer with Fed. Govt. to D.C. next year. I have no clue where to start looking at possible housing for us. We are in our mid-30's with a 3 year old. I am open to any suggestions people may have. TIA!

1. Do I need to be by a metro rail? Would I be okay if I were on a bus line? yes and probably no.

2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?) I don't know what is reasonable to expect. Current commute is about 45-60 minutes each way by car. I think my hubby is open to the rails.

3. Would I be willing to live with a roommate or multiple roommates? No.

4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer? Looking for a house. Preferably 2500sq, relatively new construction (10 or less years). Ideally $300,000 or less.

5. What is the absolute maximum, with utilities and any fees, I can afford? See above.

6. What is my definition of safe? Well, I don't want to worry too much if my child wants to play outside or walk to school. I guess I don't really know.

7. How important is nightlife? family community? schools? Definitely a good family community and good schools. We would like to live somewhere with 4 distinct seasons. I know that sounds funny, but we live in north Texas- it's hot, volcanic, then hot and a little cold for a few weeks.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 18,206 times
Hey all. I am strongly considering moving from Chicago to DC to work at the USPTO. So any advice/comments on where to live would be great. I am 31 year old male who will only be moving with his dog.

1. Do I need to be by a metro rail? Would I be okay if I were on a bus line?
-I am very used to using public trains and would probably prefer to be near one (blue or yellow preferred). I am ok with buses as well.

2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?)
-I am fine with 30 minutes commute if I can be reading while doing it. Multiple transfers annoy me.

3. Would I be willing to live with a roommate or multiple roommates?
-Ideally no, but I would consider it.

4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer?
-Pets (75 lb dog) are a must. Washer/dryer is sadly a bigger desire than I would like to admit in public. Gym is not needed at all. I can live without a/c, but I'm not an idiot who doesn't appreciate it.

5. What is the absolute maximum, with utilities and any fees, I can afford?
-My ideal plan is rent out my condo here and rent a place in DC for the same amount. I believe I can get around 1400 for my place.

6. What is my definition of safe?
-I currently run through the heart of Latin King territory every morning while it is dark. I am pretty comfortable in most places.

7. How important is nightlife? family community? schools?
-Nightlife has some importance, the others don't. I think my top three location dreams would be close to a) a metra stop I can use to get to work, b) a dog park for my dog, c) access to a good running trail.

Thank you for any thoughts/comments/suggestions.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 AM

19 posts, read 50,725 times
I am a single woman in her mid 20's and maybe accepting a job in the Mall area of DC. I'm from Texas so I have big Texas furniture, which I can sell if I have to. But I realize pet friendly communities are far and few in between. I have two cats and giving them away is not an option. I noticed someone mentioned basement apartments. I've looked on Craigslist and privately owned apartments (such as on a farm, or in someone's basement) seem to all be located really far from DC (like Manassas). Are there certain areas a little closer in VA or MD that offer basement apartments and how do you go about search for these? Also, doing a quick search for cost of apartments, Suitland, MD seems to be a little cheaper. Has anyone lived here or know if it is a decent, safe area to live when commuting to DC?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 18,114 times
Hey, everyone...

moving to DC with my girlfriend (she accepted a job in alexandria). I however, still have a job in baltimore (my boss is okay w/ working from home and its near the train stations in bmore) so we're looking to move somewhere where I can get to either Union or Silver spring station relatively painfree.

so yeah, near the red line. I bike everywhere in baltimore so in DC I have a folding bike so my commute isn't really that big an issue.

I'm looking at neighborhoods like Brookland or Trinidad... any others I should look at? we can afford around 1800 a month for a big 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom...

thanks in advance

Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosonau View Post
Hey, everyone...

moving to DC with my girlfriend (she accepted a job in alexandria). I however, still have a job in baltimore (my boss is okay w/ working from home and its near the train stations in bmore) so we're looking to move somewhere where I can get to either Union or Silver spring station relatively painfree.

so yeah, near the red line. I bike everywhere in baltimore so in DC I have a folding bike so my commute isn't really that big an issue.

I'm looking at neighborhoods like Brookland or Trinidad... any others I should look at? we can afford around 1800 a month for a big 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom...

thanks in advance
Why not look for a spot in Capitol Hill walking distance to Union Station and a reasonable commute for your girlfriend? Not sure I'd recommend Trinidad.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM

354 posts, read 784,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCadvocate View Post
Every quadrant in DC has it's good and bad areas and genralizing an entire area like SE simply shows a lack of research on your part. Do you realize that some of the most powerful people in the US work and walk around SE every day (have you heard of a place called Capitol Hill?) This is where top government officials and their staff (including white women) work and walk around at all hours of the night. They are safe and I don't think I've ever turned on the news and heard of someone being mugged at the Senate Building on the Hill. News falsh: Capitol Hill encompasses a large portion of SE DC. Furthermore, this neighborhood is heavily protected by the DC Police, Park Police, and Capitol Hill Police. Not to mention the security guards posted at every major government building and museum in the neighborhood. So next time you quiver with fear while thinking of walking in SE DC, remember that your own congressman or woman is safe at work there ever day!
for the people who grew up here or live here for a long time, most of us when saying southeast are only refering to east of the river. we call capitol hill..hmm capitol hill. ask anybody who lives there where they are from.. they will tell you capital hill not SE.

but i do understand when giving advice to people looking to move here u have to be more specific. oh and i have definitely turned on the news and heard of muggings in capitol hill..potomac garderns(housing projects) is right there next to the half million$ rowhouses..things happen

Old 12-21-2011, 12:27 PM

354 posts, read 784,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams_2004 View Post
I am a single woman in her mid 20's and maybe accepting a job in the Mall area of DC. I'm from Texas so I have big Texas furniture, which I can sell if I have to. But I realize pet friendly communities are far and few in between. I have two cats and giving them away is not an option. I noticed someone mentioned basement apartments. I've looked on Craigslist and privately owned apartments (such as on a farm, or in someone's basement) seem to all be located really far from DC (like Manassas). Are there certain areas a little closer in VA or MD that offer basement apartments and how do you go about search for these? Also, doing a quick search for cost of apartments, Suitland, MD seems to be a little cheaper. Has anyone lived here or know if it is a decent, safe area to live when commuting to DC?
do not move to suitland. some may say im generalizing but there are no nice apt complexes in suitland, they are all hood lol even the new ones

try to search greenbelt or laurel.. u may find something decent for a decent price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC