Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 06:54 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

People do generally want to keep their pay private, but it's not illegal to discuss salary with coworkers. In some situations, those discussions are how people find out that there are inequalities in pay, and not talking about that only benefits employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 07:00 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
If she doesn't know how payroll taxes work, refer her to payroll, but beyond that, I don't know what you can do. Some people are just dumb and will never get certain things.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:11 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
In some workplaces, discussing paychecks with others is a huge no-no. I might just pass the buck and tell our supervisor that newbie has tax withholding issues on her check that she's asked me about (true) and maybe she needs to have someone upstairs "go over it" with her? It's payroll's job to explain it, not mine. I won't bring up the intrusive questions, though.

Seriously, I don't want ANYONE knowing my pay rate. Last year, the school board voted (unanimously) to reclassify my position. Plus, I had taken and passed a food service safety management course over the summer break. This resulted in my getting a $5.00 an hour raise. There would be a lot of noses out of joint if they knew.

Newbie's shared some of her private life (without my asking), and her background sounds like a real s*** show. Mid 20's and four kids from different SO's. Current SO cheating on her. I'm from a different generation, and I count myself lucky that my own DD's lives turned out differently. I'd like to help her learn this job and do well.

Edit: It's been brought up, but she is not new to the workforce. She had a previous school cafeteria job. I don't know the details in why she left, though. I'm sure she'll tell me all about it eventually.
Honestly - it's not really their job either. Yes, they CAN explain it to her. But SHE should be taking those questions to them vs. having them feed it to her. Bottom line - you don't need to 'pass the buck' since it's on her - not on you.

As other's have mentioned - I would just explain to her that the stuff she's asking about is considered by many a personal matter. And it's not looked upon appropriately.

At the same token, you can give her some tips in general w/ regards to withholdings, etc. so two people making the exact same amount of money can have very different net pay (it sounds like you've already did that). But if she still needs help, she can talk to someone from payroll so they can specifically go over her paycheck.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:26 AM

4,527 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If she doesn't know how payroll taxes work, refer her to payroll, but beyond that, I don't know what you can do. Some people are just dumb and will never get certain things.
There are many many people who, even after something like this is explained, will not drop it. I've seen this before. People who try to claim that they shouldn't pay tax on an alcoholic beverage "because it's already been taxed", for example. You tell her, "This is the way taxes are done in the United States. I have nothing to do with it. If you want to change the federal laws and tax codes that govern it, contact your local representative or US Senator, but continuing to pester me about it is just wasting both our time." Then walk away.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:32 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
My guess is that (a) because she has children, and (b) she has been previously employed, she is questioning why more taxes are being taken out of her check now. My guess is that she did not claim the correct deductions when filling out her tax form when hired.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:35 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
People do generally want to keep their pay private, but it's not illegal to discuss salary with coworkers. In some situations, those discussions are how people find out that there are inequalities in pay, and not talking about that only benefits employers.
Not only is not illegal to discuss salary with co-workers, it's illegal for an employer to prohibit such discussions. Of course, it's up to each individual to decide on what they're comfortable discussing. Just noting that an employer can't stop or punish/reprimand an employee for doing so.

OP, I recommend that you tell your co-worker that tax withholdings are a different amount for everyone because it's based on several different things with base salary being just one of them. If she has questions or concerns about her paycheck she should speak directly with payroll. And then end the conversation by saying definitively "I don't want to discuss my salary or my paycheck."

Old 09-25-2023, 07:40 AM

12,842 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
In some workplaces, discussing paychecks with others is a huge no-no. I might just pass the buck and tell our supervisor that newbie has tax withholding issues on her check that she's asked me about (true) and maybe she needs to have someone upstairs "go over it" with her? It's payroll's job to explain it, not mine. I won't bring up the intrusive questions, though.

Seriously, I don't want ANYONE knowing my pay rate. Last year, the school board voted (unanimously) to reclassify my position. Plus, I had taken and passed a food service safety management course over the summer break. This resulted in my getting a $5.00 an hour raise. There would be a lot of noses out of joint if they knew.

Newbie's shared some of her private life (without my asking), and her background sounds like a real s*** show. Mid 20's and four kids from different SO's. Current SO cheating on her. I'm from a different generation, and I count myself lucky that my own DD's lives turned out differently. I'd like to help her learn this job and do well.

Edit: It's been brought up, but she is not new to the workforce. She had a previous school cafeteria job. I don't know the details in why she left, though. I'm sure she'll tell me all about it eventually.
Something I had to tell my wife constantly is "you can't want it for them." You seem to really want to help this girl but so far, the actions you describe is that she doesn't want to help herself. Being "social" isn't a reason for her to run around to everyone else offering to "help" rather than concentrating on her job. Instead, it's an excuse you are offering up for her. What she's really doing by running around to everyone is to "pretend" to work while goofing off. It's a pretty common tactic -- "Oh I didn't get that done because Jane needed my help ..."

You can be her biggest help by teaching her how to do her tasks, telling her "It's not polite to ask others what they make," and letting her succeed or fail on her own. But protect yourself so when she fails, she can't blame it on "Mrs S didn't train me to do that ..." I've seen that one more than a few times too.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:58 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Not only is not illegal to discuss salary with co-workers, it's illegal for an employer to prohibit such discussions. Of course, it's up to each individual to decide on what they're comfortable discussing. Just noting that an employer can't stop or punish/reprimand an employee for doing so.

OP, I recommend that you tell your co-worker that tax withholdings are a different amount for everyone because it's based on several different things with base salary being just one of them. If she has questions or concerns about her paycheck she should speak directly with payroll. And then end the conversation by saying definitively "I don't want to discuss my salary or my paycheck."
I am not sure I would even open the door to discuss things payroll related. I have had experience with many young people relying on me for answers to questions (thus taking up my valuable time and saving theirs) for things they should research themselves.

I have learned to tell them where to find the resources, i.e., you should look that up in xx manual, contact xx department for that information.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:04 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,336 times
OP, my guess is that this co-worker doesn't really want an explanation of how payroll taxes work, and she's using it as an excuse to find out your rate-of-pay. You said that your other co-workers may be upset if they found out about your $5/hour pay increase; I bet they already suspect it and are talking about it amongst themselves and this new colleague is trying to get the answer from you. You did say she spends a lot of time talking to other cafeteria workers. If the state you live in is like most, the co-worker could just make a Freedom of Information Act (or whatever it's called in your state) request for your pay since that information is usually public record if you work for a public school system. But the average person wouldn't think to ask for the rate-of-pay for just one person.

Old 09-25-2023, 11:49 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Something I had to tell my wife constantly is "you can't want it for them." You seem to really want to help this girl but so far, the actions you describe is that she doesn't want to help herself. Being "social" isn't a reason for her to run around to everyone else offering to "help" rather than concentrating on her job. Instead, it's an excuse you are offering up for her. What she's really doing by running around to everyone is to "pretend" to work while goofing off. It's a pretty common tactic -- "Oh I didn't get that done because Jane needed my help ..."

You can be her biggest help by teaching her how to do her tasks, telling her "It's not polite to ask others what they make," and letting her succeed or fail on her own. But protect yourself so when she fails, she can't blame it on "Mrs S didn't train me to do that ..." I've seen that one more than a few times too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I am not sure I would even open the door to discuss things payroll related. I have had experience with many young people relying on me for answers to questions (thus taking up my valuable time and saving theirs) for things they should research themselves.

I have learned to tell them where to find the resources, i.e., you should look that up in xx manual, contact xx department for that information.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment