Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 03:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I need to know a tactful way to handle this. I'm head cook at a school cafeteria (aged 63) and am training a 20-something-year-old new hire. In the interim we received our first pay checks for the year, she's been voicing concerns over the amount of taxes taken out of her checks. I explained that the payroll taxes are a percentage taken out of the gross amount, and it's going to vary depending on her number of hours worked and the gross amount of her pay. "The more you make, the more they take". She doesn't comprehend it. She's been persistently asking how much in taxes is taken out of MY check...and how much I'm paid. Now, bear in mind I'm 63, have zero dependents at home, and my withholding reflects that. She has four children, custody of three, so her withholding is different.

I told her if she has issues/questions about her tax withholding, to see Administration (where payroll is handled). She hasn't yet, to my knowledge, but she's still asking me how much I make. I've worked there 13 years, have a higher classification, more hours, and I do earn more than most of my co-workers (and have a lot more responsibility), but that's not hers or anyone else's business. She's a bit too much of a "social butterfly" IMO, spending more time talking to others than paying attention to training, and I suspect she's been asking other co-workers about their checks. I don't want her to get in trouble, but she doesn't seem to realize she's overstepping boundaries.
One way to tell her is that she is violating workplace rules of employment and could lose her job if she keeps asking inappropriate questions

If she wants to keep her job (whatever her take home pay is) then keep her questions to herself….

I wonder if her child support is set to go up or down based on what she earns herself?
That might be one reason she is persistent—or maybe she is afraid of losing any social services she has access to—like Medicaid for her children—based on earnings/your state’s poverty level, for example….

I guess I can understand her questions might come out of financial worries but they are still not appropriate or smart IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 03:53 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,604,301 times
Well, technically, if you are working at a public school, your compensation is public information, so you don't really have any privacy. That said, your trainee is being very rude and obnoxious, and needs to be "trained" on etiquette to some degree. At the very least, she should try to do the calculation herself or talk to a CPA if she thinks too much is being withheld from her check.

If she really, really wants to see how everyone's withholding is calculated, she's in the wrong profession. She needs to become a certified payroll processor.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:24 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,180,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
One way to tell her is that she is violating workplace rules of employment and could lose her job if she keeps asking inappropriate questions

If she wants to keep her job (whatever her take home pay is) then keep her questions to herself….

I wonder if her child support is set to go up or down based on what she earns herself?
That might be one reason she is persistent—or maybe she is afraid of losing any social services she has access to—like Medicaid for her children—based on earnings/your state’s poverty level, for example….

I guess I can understand her questions might come out of financial worries but they are still not appropriate or smart IMO
It can't be a workplace rule, as it's illegal to stop that. And I definitely wouldn't say that out loud to her, as that can be misconstrued.

A simple, I don't feel comfortable discussing these types of things, please speak to XXXX in payroll with any of these types of questions in the future.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:51 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Asking other people's pay used to be a terminable offense in most jobs. I understand that in the interests of gender pay equity, several state governments have mandated ”pay transparency.”

I would still get mighty riled if a co-worker asked questions around payroll/ deductions/ or straight-out pay rate. Pay usually reflects your value to the company and indirectly to society. The truth is some people bring a LOT more value to the table than others (think rainmakers).
It still is in most professional places.

Granted, many times that thing is kind of public knowledge, but it's still officially prohibited.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It still is in most professional places.

Granted, many times that thing is kind of public knowledge, but it's still officially prohibited.
It literally is against the law (NLRA) to fire someone for that.

This is from the NLRB

https://www.nlrb.gov/about-nlrb/righ...-discuss-wages

Old 09-25-2023, 06:04 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,675,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I

Newbie's shared some of her private life (without my asking), and her background sounds like a real s*** show. Mid 20's and four kids from different SO's. Current SO cheating on her. I'm from a different generation, and I count myself lucky that my own DD's lives turned out differently. I'd like to help her learn this job and do well.

Mercy. Four kids by four different fathers before you are even an adult yourself. It's obvious she wants more money and believes she deserves it. She wants to know what you make so she can try and leverage it to get her pay increased. Trying to explain that she is new and you have years of experience with more training and, therefore, you get paid more will bounce off her like rain drops on a duck. All you can do is be clear that you are not sharing that information.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:54 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,239,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
It literally is against the law (NLRA) to fire someone for that.

This is from the NLRB

https://www.nlrb.gov/about-nlrb/righ...-discuss-wages
Thank you for that. I would point out that this prohibition (against employers terminating employees for discussing wages) appears to extend only to unionized workplaces. There are also some state governments that have passed similar restrictions for "all" employers.

Of course, with US nonunion employment being "at will," any legal reason (or no reason at all) can be given for employee termination.

Everywhere I have worked - professional F500 organizations like banks, insurers, technology companies - discussing salaries was a one-way ticket to the exit. Very disruptive, and it encourages drama, to say the least.

Some workers are paid 50% or even 75% more in the identical role as other workers -- it has to do with added value. This is fairly commonplace in the private sector.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Thank you for that. I would point out that this prohibition (against employers terminating employees for discussing wages) appears to extend only to unionized workplaces. There are also some state governments that have passed similar restrictions for "all" employers.

Of course, with US nonunion employment being "at will," any legal reason (or no reason at all) can be given for employee termination.

Everywhere I have worked - professional F500 organizations like banks, insurers, technology companies - discussing salaries was a one-way ticket to the exit. Very disruptive, and it encourages drama, to say the least.

Some workers are paid 50% or even 75% more in the identical role as other workers -- it has to do with added value. This is fairly commonplace in the private sector.
It's for both Union and Non Union.

Here is some more info.. It may not cover OPs situation as they may work for the government.

The NLRA protects union and non-union workers, although, there are certain limitations. Those specifically excluded are:

Agricultural laborers
Airline employees
Federal, state, or government workers
Independent contractors
To those covered under the NLRA, the law provides protection to discuss wages with co-workers even if your employer specifically asks you not to. This means individuals can sue companies that are trying to improve illegal restrictions

Also, from here https://www.nlrb.gov/about-nlrb/righ...-discuss-wages

You also have the right not to engage in conversations or communications about your wages.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:22 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,119,181 times
Report this to H/R, OP.

Old 09-26-2023, 01:48 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,359,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Report this to H/R, OP.
Like I said previously, I want to navigate this carefully without getting her in trouble. I don't think she has any malicious intent, it's just she just doesn't realize she's being too intrusive (as well as sharing a lot of personal life details with people you've only known a month).

A couple of weeks ago, she asked me if I was married. Innocent question. Yes, 42 years. Then she asked me if I or my DH ever "cheat". I'm gob smacked. I understand that her current deadbeat SO cheats on her and she complains about him. I don't know what relationship he is to her kids (other than he's not the father of her youngest). Other than helping her in her new job, I don't want to get involved with her personally. She's way too Jerry Springer.

I do want to get her trained. She's not stupid, just unfocused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment