Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 12:15 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Well it's up to you to set your boundaries regarding her personal questions to you that are none of her business.

Be blunt. "No I am not going to discuss my paycheck with you or give you my phone number. Please don't ask again".

As for her work habits or lack of, as her trainer, report the issues to her supervisor (or whoever assigned you to the task) and leave it at that.

I would also recommend you stop staying late and coming in early to do her paperwork. You are just enabling her.

She's a crummy employee. Either she'll shape up if someone makes her, or she'll eventually get fired.
This, this, this. All of it! I can't imagine that she'll last long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
The cafeteria supervisor is well aware. I've told her that the new hire isn't going to learn the job if I'm always there to hold her hand. Still, she's a young single mom with four kids and a live in underachieving leech boyfriend, and I'd like to see her get a break. It's a great place to work and advance...if you work hard. I'm probably going to retire at 65 (less than two years). She deserves the chance to take my position if she buckles down. I've told her to concentrate on her own tasks at hand FIRST and not go around asking if others need help (we have some employees, unfortunately, who will be eager to pawn off unwanted tasks). I think she's trying too hard to make friends.

As far as wanting my phone number, I don't get the point. She gave me hers. I didn't want it, but I wasn't rude. Is she looking for another "mom" figure? I'm almost 40 years older than she is...my DD's are in their 30's and my grandkids are older than her kids.
OP, your desire to give her a leg up is noble, but she doesn't seem like the type at all to grab opportunities, buckle down, and run with them. Is this the type of employee you, the supervisor and higher-ups in general want to become entrenched in the workplace?

If you truly want to help her make a go of the job, sit her down, and get real with her. Tell her point blank (you've been delegated the job of training her, after all), that if she wants to make it there, she'll need to focus more on her work, complete the tasks assigned (rather than leaving her to-do list half done), stop distracting other workers, etc. Be clear, that that's what it will take. You could also add, that you're willing to give her a chance, but she needs to rise to the occasion and meet the workplace's standards if she's serious about the job.

You could be doing her a huge favor by making the expectations clear, firmly but supportively. This doesn't mean you have to be the bad guy. To the contrary; by letting her know exactly what's expected, and that you're willing to give her time to demonstrate that she understands, and can show the determination needed in order to improve, you're being an ally.

With this sort of person, though, I suspect she'd make an initial effort, then eventually fall back to her scattered slacker ways. But she deserves a chance to prove us all wrong. She won't get that chance if no one makes the job requirements and expectations clear. If necessary, get the super's ok to have this talk with the employee.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:03 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Yep tell her to mind her own business & that paychecks are personal. If she has questions on her own paycheck send her to the payroll department, or HR. Every time she asks repeat your position.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:10 PM

735 posts, read 406,849 times
She needs to grow up. If you're old enough to have children, then you're old enough to understand basic tax code and act appropriate at work. Play time is over, she is mother; and being social at work is not a problem unless it impacts work, which might be an issue.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:36 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
Asking other people's pay used to be a terminable offense in most jobs. I understand that in the interests of gender pay equity, several state governments have mandated ”pay transparency.”

I would still get mighty riled if a co-worker asked questions around payroll/ deductions/ or straight-out pay rate. Pay usually reflects your value to the company and indirectly to society. The truth is some people bring a LOT more value to the table than others (think rainmakers).

Old 09-25-2023, 01:39 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
She needs to grow up. If you're old enough to have children, then you're old enough to understand basic tax code and act appropriate at work. Play time is over, she is mother; and being social at work is not a problem unless it impacts work, which might be an issue.

Unfortunately, many people possess the former with no sense of the latter.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:50 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
I have a young co-worker around the same age. She asked me how much i make not long after she started. I just told her it’s not polite to ask that, most people don’t discuss their pay amount. I’m not her boss, helped with her training.

She’s young. In the case of my little co-worker, she truly didn’t know. No need to be ugly about it, just say most people don’t discuss that.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I have a young co-worker around the same age. She asked me how much i make not long after she started. I just told her it’s not polite to ask that, most people don’t discuss their pay amount. I’m not her boss, helped with her training.

She’s young. In the case of my little co-worker, she truly didn’t know. No need to be ugly about it, just say most people don’t discuss that.
I'm wondering why this generation entering the full-time work world is so focused on pay, and comparing pay to others, to the extent that it doesn't cross their mind that they're being nosy. Although people in every generation applying to a job where they already had some experience hoped for the best pay rate they could get at their level, in my observation, no one was so concerned, that they'd go so far as to ask others how much they make. There was just some common sense about that, or common courtesy, that guided self-restraint on that topic.

It makes me wonder of there's some kind of buzz going around the 20-something set, leading people to suspect they're being cheated. Or maybe it's just that the COL has gotten so out-of-proportion to pay scales, that those in the early stages of their career can't help but be stressed about their pay. What helped "way back when", was that young people often were in shared housing situations, so rent was more affordable that way. But in some housing/job markets around the country, even shared housing now is expensive.

Old 09-25-2023, 03:03 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm wondering why this generation entering the full-time work world is so focused on pay, and comparing pay to others, to the extent that it doesn't cross their mind that they're being nosy. Although people in every generation applying to a job where they already had some experience hoped for the best pay rate they could get at their level, in my observation, no one was so concerned, that they'd go so far as to ask others how much they make. There was just some common sense about that, or common courtesy, that guided self-restraint on that topic.

It makes me wonder of there's some kind of buzz going around the 20-something set, leading people to suspect they're being cheated. Or maybe it's just that the COL has gotten so out-of-proportion to pay scales, that those in the early stages of their career can't help but be stressed about their pay. What helped "way back when", was that young people often were in shared housing situations, so rent was more affordable that way. But in some housing/job markets around the country, even shared housing now is expensive.
I wonder if some of is a combination of the social media generation not having any boundaries --- they post and share everything, including stuff that's TMI and PII without a thought or clue. That combined with the huge pay/lifestyles their Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/TikTok/whatever "friends" and "influencers" brag about online. Even look here in CD at the number of anonymous "six figure salaries" post all the time.

Sets them up to feel like they are the only ones not making it big.

Old 09-25-2023, 03:20 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

It has a lot less with some pearl-clutching modesty and more to do with pay equity. There are absolutely situations where two people start the same job at the same level and make differing amounts of money. Why is salary such a guarded secret? If there are reasons that someone is paid more than a colleague in the same role, why not be transparent about it? Wouldn't you want to know if you were being exploited?

Why We Should Get Over the Taboo of Discussing Salary Openly and Honestly

Here's why you should talk to coworkers about salary

Why You Should Tell Your Coworkers How Much Money You Make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment