Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 03:21 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times

Advertisements

I need to know a tactful way to handle this. I'm head cook at a school cafeteria (aged 63) and am training a 20-something-year-old new hire. In the interim we received our first pay checks for the year, she's been voicing concerns over the amount of taxes taken out of her checks. I explained that the payroll taxes are a percentage taken out of the gross amount, and it's going to vary depending on her number of hours worked and the gross amount of her pay. "The more you make, the more they take". She doesn't comprehend it. She's been persistently asking how much in taxes is taken out of MY check...and how much I'm paid. Now, bear in mind I'm 63, have zero dependents at home, and my withholding reflects that. She has four children, custody of three, so her withholding is different.

I told her if she has issues/questions about her tax withholding, to see Administration (where payroll is handled). She hasn't yet, to my knowledge, but she's still asking me how much I make. I've worked there 13 years, have a higher classification, more hours, and I do earn more than most of my co-workers (and have a lot more responsibility), but that's not hers or anyone else's business. She's a bit too much of a "social butterfly" IMO, spending more time talking to others than paying attention to training, and I suspect she's been asking other co-workers about their checks. I don't want her to get in trouble, but she doesn't seem to realize she's overstepping boundaries.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 09-25-2023 at 04:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 04:37 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Feel free to tell her to myob. or put it like this "I am not going to discuss my wages or withholding with you. Please don't bring it up again."

Are you union? Salaries and wages in unions are generally public information. . She can look it up if she wants.

However as head cook, are you her boss? If you are her boss it's your job to clamp down on her busybody act and ensure she is doing her work instead.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Feel free to tell her to myob. or put it like this "I am not going to discuss my wages or withholding with you. Please don't bring it up again."

Are you union? Salaries and wages in unions are generally public information. . She can look it up if she wants.

However as head cook, are you her boss? If you are her boss it's your job to clamp down on her busybody act and ensure she is doing her work instead.
We are not union. I'm not her boss or anyone else's for that matter...she's strictly food prep, and I've been assigned by the cafeteria supervisor to train her. She's a nice girl, but very "scattered" (ADD maybe?) A "work in progress" as the cafeteria supervisor says (sarcastically). Our shifts mesh over an hour and a half, which is when I "train" her. It's been slow going. The supervisor says that after I leave for the day, she spends a lot of time flitting from area to area, offering "help" but basically wanting to talk. She hasn't been completing her own tasks or filling out the necessary end of day paperwork (I've stayed late or come back for half an hour at the end of her work day to make sure she gets it done).

The kitchen area is a bit isolated from the other areas and there's no one back there to talk to at that time of the day (the other food preppers and I are gone by that time). It could be hard for a "social" person.

As far as payroll tax withholding, she's had a previous food prep cafeteria job in another district, so I don't understand the confusion there.

In addition to my tax info and pay rate, she's also been asking for my phone number. No, I don't want to give her that, either.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 09-25-2023 at 05:15 AM..

Old 09-25-2023, 05:13 AM

Well it's up to you to set your boundaries regarding her personal questions to you that are none of her business.

Be blunt. "No I am not going to discuss my paycheck with you or give you my phone number. Please don't ask again".

As for her work habits or lack of, as her trainer, report the issues to her supervisor (or whoever assigned you to the task) and leave it at that.

I would also recommend you stop staying late and coming in early to do her paperwork. You are just enabling her.

She's a crummy employee. Either she'll shape up if someone makes her, or she'll eventually get fired.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Well it's up to you to set your boundaries regarding her personal questions to you that are none of her business.

Be blunt. "No I am not going to discuss my paycheck with you or give you my phone number. Please don't ask again".

As for her work habits or lack of, as her trainer, report the issues to her supervisor (or whoever assigned you to the task) and leave it at that.

I would also recommend you stop staying late and coming in early to do her paperwork. You are just enabling her.

She's a crummy employee. Either she'll shape up if someone makes her, or she'll eventually get fired.
The cafeteria supervisor is well aware. I've told her that the new hire isn't going to learn the job if I'm always there to hold her hand. Still, she's a young single mom with four kids and a live in underachieving leech boyfriend, and I'd like to see her get a break. It's a great place to work and advance...if you work hard. I'm probably going to retire at 65 (less than two years). She deserves the chance to take my position if she buckles down. I've told her to concentrate on her own tasks at hand FIRST and not go around asking if others need help (we have some employees, unfortunately, who will be eager to pawn off unwanted tasks). I think she's trying too hard to make friends.

As far as wanting my phone number, I don't get the point. She gave me hers. I didn't want it, but I wasn't rude. Is she looking for another "mom" figure? I'm almost 40 years older than she is...my DD's are in their 30's and my grandkids are older than her kids.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:49 AM

As I said, it's on you to set boundaries, sounds like she'll swamp you if you let her.

Sounds like you are taking on her life as your responsibility. That way lies madness.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:54 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,596,724 times
I would tell her that you believe she is just trying to be friendly, you and most people consider payroll matters personal and not to be shared. WRT to the phone no., you don't give it out. Sorry.

Kudos to you for mentoring her.

Last edited by Maddie104; 09-25-2023 at 06:35 AM..

Old 09-25-2023, 06:41 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
It sounds like this is someone new to the workforce, who doesn't quite understand the norms around working. People don't know what they don't know. Was there any kind of handbook or onboarding for her, where she could have asked about taxes or job duties? Maybe there needs to be.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:48 AM

303 posts, read 237,246 times
Also consider asking her why she asks about your pay? Would be an easy transition into "Well people don't normally talk about their pay with other people..."

Agreed on her being new to the workforce.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:53 AM

In some workplaces, discussing paychecks with others is a huge no-no. I might just pass the buck and tell our supervisor that newbie has tax withholding issues on her check that she's asked me about (true) and maybe she needs to have someone upstairs "go over it" with her? It's payroll's job to explain it, not mine. I won't bring up the intrusive questions, though.

Seriously, I don't want ANYONE knowing my pay rate. Last year, the school board voted (unanimously) to reclassify my position. Plus, I had taken and passed a food service safety management course over the summer break. This resulted in my getting a $5.00 an hour raise. There would be a lot of noses out of joint if they knew.

Newbie's shared some of her private life (without my asking), and her background sounds like a real s*** show. Mid 20's and four kids from different SO's. Current SO cheating on her. I'm from a different generation, and I count myself lucky that my own DD's lives turned out differently. I'd like to help her learn this job and do well.

Edit: It's been brought up, but she is not new to the workforce. She had a previous school cafeteria job. I don't know the details in why she left, though. I'm sure she'll tell me all about it eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment