Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 08:23 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,434 times

Advertisements

This was a comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You seem to want to turn this thread into a 'hate India' thread.

But here's what you need to understand -- you are not a good spokesperson for Pakistan.
To which the reply was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
This is another misleading statement. Pakistan desires peace. However, if india dares to touch Pakistan, it will pay a very heavy price.

Parts of Pakistan are extremely safe.
I guess the obsessed don't even realise that they are indeed obsessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 01:04 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,767 times
I've learned they have an odd cultural dislike thing going on but, is it typical for the Pakistani to be that obsessed with India? Seems so excessive.

OP, us as Americans care a lot less about your beef with India than you realize, I'm sure. Nothing about India will ever affect my decision to visit Pakistan nor will anything about Pakistan ever affect my decision to visit India.

To me it's like this, I'd be interested in seeing Pakistan and a lot of places. I'd love to be a world traveler one day. Learning about different cultures is very very interesting to me, though I lean a bit more conservative, and you painted that one with a really broad brush. That being said, Pakistan is hardly on my top 10 list and neither is India. But maybe one day. It's beautiful from the posts I've seen.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:20 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
I've learned they have an odd cultural dislike thing going on but, is it typical for the Pakistani to be that obsessed with India? Seems so excessive.

OP, us as Americans care a lot less about your beef with India than you realize, I'm sure. Nothing about India will ever affect my decision to visit Pakistan nor will anything about Pakistan ever affect my decision to visit India.

To me it's like this, I'd be interested in seeing Pakistan and a lot of places. I'd love to be a world traveler one day. Learning about different cultures is very very interesting to me, though I lean a bit more conservative, and you painted that one with a really broad brush. That being said, Pakistan is hardly on my top 10 list and neither is India. But maybe one day. It's beautiful from the posts I've seen.
It would be interesting to hand 100 Americans a map of the world with the countries outlined, but not labeled. And ask the Americans to pick out Pakistan on the map. That would be a big fail. More might be able to pick out India. But so what? There are 195 countires in the world. I wonder how many the average Pakistani could label? People don't know much about other countries unless they have some very specific reason to.

I spent many months in Thailand, and very nice Thai people often wanted to chat with an American. Some of the questions that they asked would have made me laugh out loud, had my goal not always have been to treat them to respect. Would you believe that I was actually once asked, "Is it true in America the streets are paved with gold?" Yes. Really.

If Americans seem to know more about India, my guess is it's mostly because we are more likely to see things about India in motion pictures. I never made it to India, but I really wanted to see the Red Fort...I saw it in a movie and was fascinated.

The reputation that any country has among outsiders is not due to the outsiders. It's always based on something going on in that country, although whether it is being perceived correctly is anyone's guess. Over the past four years, American has gotten a black eye in the eyes of most of the world. That's our fault. Nagative perceptions I have about certain things in India...that's India's fault. And my percpetion of Pakistan is based on things that happened in Pakistan. And even if things have improved as much as a couple of posters indicate, it takes time for a reputation to improve. It's up to you Pakistanis to improve the image of your country, but the way the posts have gone in this thread is not the way to do it.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:27 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
You seem to want to turn this thread into a 'hate India' thread.

But here's what you need to understand -- you are not a good spokesperson for Pakistan.
Yep.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:51 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
It would be interesting to hand 100 Americans a map of the world with the countries outlined, but not labeled. And ask the Americans to pick out Pakistan on the map. That would be a big fail. More might be able to pick out India. But so what? There are 195 countires in the world. I wonder how many the average Pakistani could label? People don't know much about other countries unless they have some very specific reason to.

I spent many months in Thailand, and very nice Thai people often wanted to chat with an American. Some of the questions that they asked would have made me laugh out loud, had my goal not always have been to treat them to respect. Would you believe that I was actually once asked, "Is it true in America the streets are paved with gold?" Yes. Really.

If Americans seem to know more about India, my guess is it's mostly because we are more likely to see things about India in motion pictures. I never made it to India, but I really wanted to see the Red Fort...I saw it in a movie and was fascinated.

The reputation that any country has among outsiders is not due to the outsiders. It's always based on something going on in that country, although whether it is being perceived correctly is anyone's guess. Over the past four years, American has gotten a black eye in the eyes of most of the world. That's our fault. Nagative perceptions I have about certain things in India...that's India's fault. And my percpetion of Pakistan is based on things that happened in Pakistan. And even if things have improved as much as a couple of posters indicate, it takes time for a reputation to improve. It's up to you Pakistanis to improve the image of your country, but the way the posts have gone in this thread is not the way to do it.
I’d say it’s mostly because of its vast population. That’s one reason why India gets mentioned a lot. Bollywood does play a role as well.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:48 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I’d say it’s mostly because of its vast population. That’s one reason why India gets mentioned a lot. Bollywood does play a role as well.
Yes, and increasingly so.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:30 AM

51 posts, read 33,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Yes, its because of its population, and generally more Indians in the US. As well, Indians are non Muslim and that also tends to be a big factor for most Americans.

Also I highly highly doubt any Americans watch Bollywood or know any actors if you go up to the average on the street. The only places in the US where they show Bwood movies are where the Indian population is higher than usual. And even then as someone who has been to these types of theaters, I don't see the average American watching movies in a completely different language.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:29 PM

295 posts, read 355,472 times
Pakistan is a special country. Every single poster & reader on here realizes Pakistan is a unique country in comparison to Iran/Afghanistan/India etc.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:56 PM

64 posts, read 47,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviesandgames View Post
The americans in this thread wont like this even though its true, americans are huge fans of India as many Americans are anti muslim.

to the americans, show one video where an vlogger in india tries to pay for his meal, and the resturant owner gives the meal for free? its commonplace in pakistan.

Shows the kindness of Pakistanis. Even though they are in poverty and would never let an oppurtuinty to gain money go to waste, they welcome the stranger from abroad and give the meal for free even when they know they will take a loss. I have seen Americans or other foreginers get invited for tea in Pakistan aswell.

Show me any examples in india please and I am waiting.

interesting

Last edited by GrEeKlIfE08; 06-23-2021 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-23-2021, 06:03 PM

64 posts, read 47,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
Lets see, I should visit Cancun, or maybe Rio? Sit on the beach drinking a cold one while admiring all the beautiful women. Or I could go to Pakistan where you might get put in jail for public drinking? Do they still give lashes?

Maybe I should go to Thailand where women wear almost nothing and the beer is cheap? Or Pakistan where women have a dress code and must cover their shoulders and dresses below the knees. She also cannot wear clothes that give any hint of what her curves might look like under her clothes. Of course violations are subject to Honour Killings.

Say something bad about Islam or the Koran or Muhammad? That will likely get you killed.

I think I will go to Vietnam, and Cambodia, and Thailand, Japan, Malaysia, or Philippines to of course do all the regular tourist excursions but also spend a lot of time sitting on the beach directing traffic. Diving lessons?

I think anyone who does even the slightest bit of research about places he or she might visit, will end up with Pakistan very near the bottom of their to do list competing with exciting places like Venezuela and Somalia.

These are excellent points. I have no idea what tourism is for westerners in Pakistan but in islamic Dubai it is very accommodating. Clueless western females strut around with tank tops and short shorts and it is tolerated, they drink freely and frolic on the beautiful beaches. Can this be done in Pakistan?! I somehow doubt it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia