Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 04:32 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
Here in the Midwest there is a comparable chain called Menard's; I find Menard's cheaper on lumber.
And Menard's has a lot better selection and quality of lumber than the national chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 04:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Like gorcery stores i find different items cheaper and others higher at both.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:06 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
I find the quality equal, friendlier at Lowes. Just bought 100' of 6/3 copper wire at Lowes. Had to stop at Home Depot for something else so I checked the price on the 6/3 and Depot was $0.50 cheaper per foot, So I returned to lowes for the price difference plus 10%, $55

Old 06-06-2010, 07:14 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
You know I don't think I have ever shopped at Lowes but yet they are less than a mile from one another. I always shopped at HD. I will go into Lowes and see whats a good deal

Old 06-10-2010, 05:27 PM

214 posts, read 757,732 times
If you are planning on purchasing lumber, look for building supply stores in your area. They generally have deep discounts on cull lumber, which may have a minor inconsistency that can be worked around.

Otherwise, I do not know which one is cheaper. I have been to both many times, and I feel that the prices are pretty similar.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Not sure I want to get into this, since I work at one of these.

But I've shopped at both, and found that the prices are pretty darn close to each other. Bought a drill...Black and Decker. Of course, I would normally shop at my store just for the convenience aspect of it--we don't get any sort of employee discount.

Aren't there Ace or True Value stores anywhere else? I know one of these bought the other out, not really sure which way it went.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:53 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
The stores tend to sell different brands, making my price comparisons tough. Lowe's is big on Troy Bilt lawnmowers but Home Depot has a huge selection of Toros. Home Depot sells American Standard faucets and Lowe's sticks with Delta and Moen. And when they do have the same brands, they carry completely different models. Comparing what I could, I concluded that in a few cases, Lowe's had the lower prices. But in general the stores are close.
When it comes to gas grills, both stores carried the same Weber Genesis Three-Burner gas grill for $699. Home Depot had a slightly lower price on a Weber four-burner gas grill.
The stores practically matched each other dollar for dollar on gardening supplies. Home Depot had a slightly better deal on Black & Decker's 24-inch Hedge Hog electric hedge trimmer at $69.97, compared to Lowe's $74.96 price tag.
Lowe's had a few better deals on kitchen and bathroom faucets. The Lowe's price on a Kohler kitchen faucet was $108, compared to Home Depot's price of $130.84 on the same faucet. Lowe's also appeared to have better prices than some online stores: A certain Moen kitchen faucet model was $188 at Lowe's, compared to $224.58 on Amazon.com.
Lowe's had better prices on shelving as well. A ClosetMaid 6-cube organizer was $44.88 at Lowe's, a few dollars cheaper than online prices for the same product. Home Depot didn't carry this one, and its prices on Rubbermaid wire shelves were a few dollars higher than Lowe's.
Lowe's even had better deals on even more random items like blue painters tape. The store offered a 1-inch thick roll for $1 cheaper than Home Depot's same roll. And the same Klein wire stripper/cutter was $4 cheaper at Lowe's.
So where do you shop for tools and other hardware? Are there any mom and pops that have good deals? What about online stores?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:22 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
When we went through our little house remodel, our contractor suggested places for us to go to get stuff. We bought the stuff and he put it in. What we found is that on lower end products (faucets, Formica, wood stuff) the Big Box stores had the best prices.

The second you wandered to something a little higher end with better quality -- local stores had them beat hands down. Easy to see why -- bulk buying on the basic stuff that most people will be fine with.

My kitchen faucet was a good example. At the time, the high arc angle was new. A friend had one and she (like me) washes dishes by hand, and cooks, and the convenience of having a high arc faucet was amazing. She LOVED it. So when we did the redo of the kitchen, I wanted one. Home Depot (there was no Lowe's then) had them for 35 bucks more than the local plumbing supply my contractor recommended.

My countertop -- all I knew was what I didn't want. I looked at HD at Formica and other types of laminate tops and ew. Ewww. Contractor sent me to the local WilsonArt and Formica place..... I LITERALLY walked in right up to the perfect countertop. Wilsonart laminate -- medium gray with turquoise, pink and pale gray boomerangs... I ADORE that countertop.

Was it more expensive than the stuff at HD? Yes -- but who cares. I love love love my countertop. And it simply wasn't available at HD.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The stores tend to sell different brands, making my price comparisons tough. Lowe's is big on Troy Bilt lawnmowers but Home Depot has a huge selection of Toros. Home Depot sells American Standard faucets and Lowe's sticks with Delta and Moen. And when they do have the same brands, they carry completely different models. Comparing what I could, I concluded that in a few cases, Lowe's had the lower prices. But in general the stores are close.
When it comes to gas grills, both stores carried the same Weber Genesis Three-Burner gas grill for $699. Home Depot had a slightly lower price on a Weber four-burner gas grill.
The stores practically matched each other dollar for dollar on gardening supplies. Home Depot had a slightly better deal on Black & Decker's 24-inch Hedge Hog electric hedge trimmer at $69.97, compared to Lowe's $74.96 price tag.
Lowe's had a few better deals on kitchen and bathroom faucets. The Lowe's price on a Kohler kitchen faucet was $108, compared to Home Depot's price of $130.84 on the same faucet. Lowe's also appeared to have better prices than some online stores: A certain Moen kitchen faucet model was $188 at Lowe's, compared to $224.58 on Amazon.com.
Lowe's had better prices on shelving as well. A ClosetMaid 6-cube organizer was $44.88 at Lowe's, a few dollars cheaper than online prices for the same product. Home Depot didn't carry this one, and its prices on Rubbermaid wire shelves were a few dollars higher than Lowe's.
Lowe's even had better deals on even more random items like blue painters tape. The store offered a 1-inch thick roll for $1 cheaper than Home Depot's same roll. And the same Klein wire stripper/cutter was $4 cheaper at Lowe's.
So where do you shop for tools and other hardware? Are there any mom and pops that have good deals? What about online stores?
Wow, so very informative , Thank you !

Not sure if the shop for tools question was directed at me but I don't buy alot of tools.
Hardware items I would go to HD . But right down the street is Lowes so that's why I asked if I should go in there to get cheaper prices ?

Any other examples of which store had better prices please share

Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 AM

929 posts, read 2,092,287 times
Customer service does not blow me out of the water at either place, but I would have to give the edge to Lowe's. I've been replacing interior doors and the price for the doors and hardware was the same at both places, so Lowe's won out with their customer service, since I needed a few custom orders. The ordering process was flawless. Now, don't get me started on their delivery of appliances...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living