Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:22 AM

613 posts, read 944,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The stores tend to sell different brands, making my price comparisons tough. Lowe's is big on Troy Bilt lawnmowers but Home Depot has a huge selection of Toros. Home Depot sells American Standard faucets and Lowe's sticks with Delta and Moen. And when they do have the same brands, they carry completely different models. Comparing what I could, I concluded that in a few cases, Lowe's had the lower prices. But in general the stores are close.
When it comes to gas grills, both stores carried the same Weber Genesis Three-Burner gas grill for $699. Home Depot had a slightly lower price on a Weber four-burner gas grill.
Home Depot sells both Toro & Honda mowers, & Toro & Ariens snowblowers; Lowe's doesn't. (I don't think Troy Bilt lawnmowers are taken seriously by most people). Also HD has way more stores, at least in Mass. & NH. And it's generally really easy to return stuff at HD.

To the OP's original question, sometimes one store has a sale on some items that the other one doesn't. There's no simple answer. But Home Depot seems to sell a lot of popular brands that Lowe's doesn't.

Oh, one more thing: Home Depot stores can vary some in how "user friendly" they are.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 12:19 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
I prefer Lowes over HD as Lowes seems to carry more "small" hardware store-ish items, and sells some stuff like vinyl tubing by the foot.

HD seems to cater more to the re-modelers and contractors buying big items and quantities, like appliances and lumber. If HD has tubing, it's 50' or nothing.

I recently needed to replace a wireless remote light switch, Lowes had it, HD did not.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-W...Module/3369148

As always, YMMV.........

Old 07-04-2017, 07:34 PM

473 posts, read 502,097 times
Prices are really comparable...The smaller hardware stores like Ace are more expensive but handy in smaller towns/suburbs to do quick jimmy rig repairs for a few $$$.

Menards is cheapest in my experience....

I like 'damaged freight' places or salvage brokers, always a neat browse. Habitat for Humanity Restore sells off stuff they don't use in their projects, $$$ goes to good cause but some things are just too expensive IMHO.

Craigslist is helpful to check out...FREE section can have lots of good building materials to recycle in cities or even get 'free' kitchen for gently removing it yourself before a remodel.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:05 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,727 times
Lowes frustrates me. Lowes is closer to my house but multiple times I end up going to Home Depot because Lowes doesn't carry what I was looking for.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:12 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
Lowes frustrates me. Lowes is closer to my house but multiple times I end up going to Home Depot because Lowes doesn't carry what I was looking for.
Same here. Lowe's is closer, but I end up buying at Home Depot more often. If the local True Value has what I want, I buy there. I love hardware stores. Really old ones are the best.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:56 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,072,428 times
I prefer Lowes to HD.
It seems the hired help is alot more visible at Lowes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living