Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times

Advertisements

I like them both but for different reasons. Each has pro's and con's. Also, I think a lot depends on the local management and staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Something I noticed on Wade Hampton Blvd in Greer, was that Home Depot had Lowe's right across the street !

Old 07-05-2010, 09:01 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times
For some reason, in 95% of this country, Lowes and HD are always within a block of each other, ever notice that?
Anyway, Im not sure about HD but can say Lowes does the 'price match' thing, within reason. They simply call the HD down the street, compare manufacturer and model number, and you get the difference. Remember, its gotta be the same model and manufacturer.
BTW, did you ever notice that where ever theres a Starbucks, there is a Subway place too, within a few doors down (or maybe its just out here)?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
For some reason, in 95% of this country, Lowes and HD are always within a block of each other, ever notice that?
Anyway, Im not sure about HD but can say Lowes does the 'price match' thing, within reason. They simply call the HD down the street, compare manufacturer and model number, and you get the difference. Remember, its gotta be the same model and manufacturer.
BTW, did you ever notice that where ever theres a Starbucks, there is a Subway place too, within a few doors down (or maybe its just out here)?
Where I live you can walk to Lowes and walk to Home Depot , lol ! They are within less than half a mile , if that.

I would agree with you wherever you see a Starbucks, a Subway is nearby. Especially in the hotels in the food court lobbys.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,203 times
Funny, my Menard's in WSW Indiana I find a littly more costly than Lowe's, and both have great customer service. My local Ace Hardware also has better service & more time for Q/As and How To s, especially if you go during the daytime M-F, but a little more costly than the others. (But now I think they're cutting staff with the recession going on for so long.)

Menard's has great coupons, and the rebates sound really good, but they're not. They're only for more purchasing at Guess Where? Menards.

I think the Customer Service depends a whole lot on the Management of the store. I did find a terrific improvement in the looks/sanitation of one of our local McDonald's when I filled in a card that I guess got sent to the home office. The next time I went in there, it was as clean as a whistle, while before it had looked filthy. (Why did I go back at all? Don't remember exactly. Probably just to get a Diet Coke and use the rest room [in the reverse order!].)

Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My wife goes to Lowes and gets their best price and then takes it to the Home Depot where they match the lower price and gives her an additional 10%.

You get little service in either store. For service, you go to an Ace Hardware and pay a little more.
No doubt, Ace is the Place with the Helpfull Hardware Man

Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
No doubt, Ace is the Place with the Helpfull Hardware Man
The problem with people in general is that they go to the local independents and the Ace for the advice and then head over and buy all of the materials at the big box stores. Then they wonder why that helpful guy closed down his business and is no longer available.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 AM

193 posts, read 541,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
Customer service does not blow me out of the water at either place, but I would have to give the edge to Lowe's. I've been replacing interior doors and the price for the doors and hardware was the same at both places, so Lowe's won out with their customer service, since I needed a few custom orders. The ordering process was flawless. Now, don't get me started on their delivery of appliances...

We were out of state when we saw a fridge on sale that we wanted to put in our new house (which was not completed at the time). Lowe's said no problem, they would let us purchase it and hold it until we called to schedule a delivery. Two weeks later we got a confirmation call that our fridge would be delivered in a few days... several months before our house was to be completed. Obviously we hadn't set up that delivery date. They gave us the run around about holding it for us.l Then we thought we had the kinks worked out.

Got a call from Lowe's while both hubby and I are at work that they're at the house trying to deliver the fridge. They were 3 days early!! I just don't see how they couldn't keep it straight.

We still prefer Lowe's over HD when given the choice based on their selection.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Where I live you can walk to Lowes and walk to Home Depot , lol ! They are within less than half a mile , if that.

I would agree with you wherever you see a Starbucks, a Subway is nearby. Especially in the hotels in the food court lobbys.
Same thing with McDonald's and WalMart.

As for Home Depot and Lowes...I think the prices are pretty much the same. Much just depends on the local management and sales personnel.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Honestly , I have only went into Lowes one time and that was with a friend . I didn't walk the aisles..

Now Home Depot I practically lived there going in for everything I needed !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living