Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

lowes shovel

home depot shovel

home depot's about a buck cheaper for the same shovel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:20 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,437 times
Depends of course. Both are tied in with different manufacturers and most products have pros and cons. Compare if you can.

Lowes is a nicer store, HD is probably just a lil cheaper across the board. I go to the closest one myself.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:53 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,399 times
Perhaps it's just my neighborhod Lowes and Home Depot, but the Lowes here is like a ghost town when it comes to getting customer service. You can be standing in the aisle with a quizzical look on your face and employee after employee will walk right by you. When you finally manage to stop one of them while they're bee-lining to the break room, they confidently tell you what you're looking for is in aisle 10 when it's really aisle 2.

Home Depot has a person at the door who directs you to what you are looking for. I get stopped constantly and asked if I need help. Some people may find this annoying but I know next-to-nothing about home improvement and am grateful.

As far as items go, I haven't found a great price difference on their items that are the same and so it's just a matter of liking what they carry. If you are looking for a specific brand, you may have a preference, but if you are going to the store to buy a faucet, it's wise to comparison shop.

I choose Home Depot every time but that's only because of where I live. When I lived in other parts of the country, I liked Lowe's.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:58 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
The Home Depot in my hood is usually short staffed while Lowe's has plentiful staff at all store hours.
The prices on the items between both stores depends on what you will be purchasing. Sometimes I find things much cheaper at Home Depot or sometimes Lowe's. If I need advice and don't know where to find something, I will visit Lowe's. If I know what I'm going in for and it's cheaper at Home Depot, I will go there.
Both stores are about 1 mile away from each other.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
I find the customer service about the same in both stores...really pretty good, as long as you can find a sales person!

I bought a very fixer-upper house this summer and comparison-shopped both stores frequently...close to my house there's a Lowes on one side of the street, Home Despot on the other. Overall I think HD is just a little cheaper for the most part...but Lowes has a wider range of "decorator" type items, like window coverings, cabinet hardware, storage shelving and so on. Home Despot was cheaper overall for things like gutters, plumbing stuff, fencing materials and flooring.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:59 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Perhaps it's just my neighborhod Lowes and Home Depot, but the Lowes here is like a ghost town when it comes to getting customer service. You can be standing in the aisle with a quizzical look on your face and employee after employee will walk right by you. When you finally manage to stop one of them while they're bee-lining to the break room, they confidently tell you what you're looking for is in aisle 10 when it's really aisle 2.

Home Depot has a person at the door who directs you to what you are looking for. I get stopped constantly and asked if I need help. Some people may find this annoying but I know next-to-nothing about home improvement and am grateful.

As far as items go, I haven't found a great price difference on their items that are the same and so it's just a matter of liking what they carry. If you are looking for a specific brand, you may have a preference, but if you are going to the store to buy a faucet, it's wise to comparison shop.

I choose Home Depot every time but that's only because of where I live. When I lived in other parts of the country, I liked Lowe's.

The HD by my house, everyone is very friendly and eager to show you whatever it is you are looking for.

The Lowes is a huge place and I could not find anyone to help me ( at first ) then I found this lady and she walked me to the other side of the store to help me find something.

I have to say I feel more comfortable in HD, maybe because I am used to HD moreso than Lowes..

Old 01-22-2011, 03:00 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
Home Depot will price match and take another 10% off. Do you want to save money or do you want to go to Lowes?
HD hands down. Not to mention Home Depot has many brands that are exclusive to Home Depot and are of much higher quality. Like BEHR paint and Husky Tools.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:46 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Home Depot will price match and take another 10% off. Do you want to save money or do you want to go to Lowes?
HD hands down. Not to mention Home Depot has many brands that are exclusive to Home Depot and are of much higher quality. Like BEHR paint and Husky Tools.
Great Post !

Old 01-28-2011, 01:38 PM

520 posts, read 869,487 times
i remodeled a forclosure and researched prices for materials --if you have a MENARDS in your area buy there,more selection and you'll save hundreds on big jobs.home depot is the worst excuse for a hardware store ive ever seen .there policy is if its not generic chinese crap and it dont sell well they wont carry it

Old 01-28-2011, 01:52 PM

520 posts, read 869,487 times
hd and lowes will be competative on lumber, drywall ,bags of cement--where they get you is heavy mark up on nails ,screws, misc stuff to finish the job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living