Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:26 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,114 times

Advertisements

I haven't found much of a difference in price between the two. For a lot of the recent gardening stuff I've gotten the price is identical down to the penny. My experience is in line with the previous poster that says when Lowes wants to get rid of something that mark it down with a deeper discount.

My experience with Ace goes something like this. It is closer to me so I went there once to get a P-Trap because I didn't want to drive farther. I got to my car and realized I didn't have teflon tape. I went back to get it and even though it was 5 minutes before closing (according to my cell phone) they had locked the door and as I held up my bag he pointed to his watch and walked away. I went to HD, got the same P-Trap for quite a bit less and returned the one to Ace the next day. Haven't really felt like going back since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 01:51 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
I haven't found much of a difference in price between the two. For a lot of the recent gardening stuff I've gotten the price is identical down to the penny. My experience is in line with the previous poster that says when Lowes wants to get rid of something that mark it down with a deeper discount.

My experience with Ace goes something like this. It is closer to me so I went there once to get a P-Trap because I didn't want to drive farther. I got to my car and realized I didn't have teflon tape. I went back to get it and even though it was 5 minutes before closing (according to my cell phone) they had locked the door and as I held up my bag he pointed to his watch and walked away. I went to HD, got the same P-Trap for quite a bit less and returned the one to Ace the next day. Haven't really felt like going back since.
That was mean of the guy to not let you back in . He could have at least listened to what your need was....it's not like there was a line of people outside wanting to come in too..

What ever happened to Customer Service ?

Shame on Ace.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Pretty comparable on most counts, but Lowe's does the better job re: clearance discounts. We recently got an Oriental-print rug that was originally marked at $130, on an endcap, reduced to $30, at Lowe's. We thought that was awesome. Then we got to the checkout, and the cashier rung it up, and said, "Wow, $3?" We were like, "Um, it said $30?" She said, "Well, it's ringing up $3, so I guess it's your even luckier day!" Sweet. My bro-in-law works at Home Depot, and he tends to get pissy when I comment on deals like that at Lowe's, but I told him that when he can offer me a $3 rug, we'll talk.

I prefer Menards over either, but we don't have Menards here, unlike in my home state.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
I think a lot depends on the brand of a product.A few years ago I was looking for roof shingles and a Lowes sales person told me that Lowes will not carry a certain brand if the Manufacture also sells to HD.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 AM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
depends, each has their "A" items which they blow out and then nail you on the B AND C type items......
im in the wholesale electrical supply business so i monitor their pricing structure ofton.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
I think a lot depends on the brand of a product.A few years ago I was looking for roof shingles and a Lowes sales person told me that Lowes will not carry a certain brand if the Manufacture also sells to HD.
There are any number of manufacturers who sell to BOTH Lowes and THD. The two chains like to play competitors off each other to lower prices. However, when push comes to shove, if there is demand for a certain brand, both will carry it.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,058 times
Every store is different. In my area lowes is more of the DIY place, usually same price as home depot with slightly less selection. Lowes usually has more employees but they seem to all congregate and talk and ignore customers or sit together somewhere in appliances. I still go there because it is closer and they do have enough staff, you just have to "bother" them.

Home depot is bigger, more industrial, has slightly less staff, but better staff. They stick to one location and know their stuff. Some have been working there for 10+ years in same department. I prefer home depot even though it's 1-2 miles extra, because of the slightly cheaper prices, and more knowledgable staff.

However I think they overall tie. Just depends on your area I guess. Check them both out. And use the Home Depot app ITS AMAZING. Tells you if it's in stock, exactly where it is, and it's never wrong.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:59 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I don't see a lot of difference in prices. There is lot of difference in stores from location to location. In my town, the Lowe's is a good place to shop and the Home Depot is awful and I won't go in there. The next town over, the Home Depot is excellent and I don't go into the Lowe's.

The only place I see much price difference is that appliances in my Local Lowe's seem a bit lower. But there is an appliance store that will price match and they have free delivery and set up, so I often buy appliances at that appliance store.

Neither Lowe's nor Home Depot sell odd or rare parts and I buy a lot of my plumbing and electrical at a specialty store. They cost more, but they will have the part I need. The big box stores only carry high volume mainstream items.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
It has been our experience there is no difference. Just yesterday I was reading the Sunday ads and it seems the prices and the specials were almost identical. One thing might be a little cheaper at one store and the net item cheaper at the other. It is more a matter of what one wants and why a person prefers one over the other. We have Lowe's closer so are more inclined to go there, but when it was time to replace all our kitchen appliances when we remodeled the kitchen we choose Home Depot. We like their sales people a little better: just our experience.

I feel the same about Sam's and Costco. Of course we do not have Costco here and probably never will not for ages. When we lived in TX and NM we had both. At one time we belonged to both, but decided with just the two of us we didn't need 2 memberships and let our Costco die. Our only reason was we had belonged to Sam's many more years. I slightly liked the Costco stores over Sam's. They had a little better selection, but I never saw much difference in the merchandise. Of course some of this is regional I am sure, just like WalMart. Some are much nicer and larger than others.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:35 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I'm a Home Depot person. Just am. But I'll go to Lowes if HD doesn't have what I want. Because -- if I need the item, I need it.

But as for saving money, lately I've been trying to force myself to remember that Walmart also has some basic items that are the same or comparable:
-- Duct tape, plumbers tape, ceiling fan pull chains, wall outlet and light switch covers, toilet seats, towel bars, measuring tapes, drills, tool boxes and other tools, screws, nuts, bolts, picture hanging hardware, wall tick tape, work gloves, wood putty, spackle, joint compound, paint, brushes, sand paper, trash cans, light bulbs, etc.

Walmart actually has quite a home improvement department. Obviously it's not going to have as much as the other stores mentioned. But if I'm already at Walmart anyway.....it recently dawned on me I don't need to make another stop at HD for just duct tape -- or quite a few things actually. (I've saved money and gas and time.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living