Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 09:28 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times

Advertisements

When I say boonies, we are talking far away from nearly anything called "civilisation," so no GNC or its equivalent for about 50 or more miles.

Resources wouldn't hurt!

And thanks for the thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
OTR: Do you need a resource for the essential oils - to order them? Otherwise, you can usually find them at a GNC or some other health and nutrition type store. I will find you links if you need . . .

This recipe is great! Thank you so much Lily!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
You can get the borax and soap at Target Online, they charge S&H by the weight. Or maybe even a site like drugstore.com or AmericaRx.com. Probably anywhere you shop will have borax and soap (grocery or drug store).

To order essential oils: www.MotherNature.com, www.NOW.com or www.AlpineNaturals.com are good places. If you live in or are near Colorado (Snow Kingdom), there is a nice little shop in Durango called www.DancingWillowHerbs.com. Have been there in person and is excellent place with knowledgeable people about herbs/tinctures/oils.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 AM

Thanks, lilypad. I might be able to find some sort of equivalent of Target, and perhaps my grain store will have borox and the soap. I was over there the other day, and found some really interesting non-horse products that you'd normally find elsewhere (including some remedy for a bad back that is for horses but works on me).

I'm not out West anymore, but I'll check some on line resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
You can get the borax and soap at Target Online, they charge S&H by the weight. Or maybe even a site like drugstore.com or AmericaRx.com. Probably anywhere you shop will have borax and soap (grocery or drug store).

To order essential oils: www.MotherNature.com, www.NOW.com or www.AlpineNaturals.com are good places. If you live in or are near Colorado (Snow Kingdom), there is a nice little shop in Durango called www.DancingWillowHerbs.com. Have been there in person and is excellent place with knowledgeable people about herbs/tinctures/oils.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:39 AM

Yes, I think most equestrian products can be used on humans safely. Found a website on that a few days ago. Do you have one?

We have a tractor store here and some feed/seed stores and like to go in to look around, and love the smells! Found some great hiking boots in there.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:42 AM

I don't have any on line websites for equestrian shopping at the moment, what with all the horse stuff right here in nearly every town. But try to find a container of milk--no way.

Yes, some animal products cross over nicely, but others, well, not a great idea.

And our feed and grain stores are filled with all sorts of wonders, things you'd never find in a Target.

Quote:
Yes, I think most equestrian products can be used on humans safely. Found a website on that a few days ago. Do you have one?

We have a tractor store here and some feed/seed stores and like to go in to look around, and love the smells! Found some great hiking boots in there.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:57 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
ani -- when i had a really nasty sinus infection a few years back [3-4 or so] and knowing what that darned 'amoxicilian' [sp] does to me .... i decided to research the Tea Tree oil.

thinking back to when i was a kid and mom used to make be 'breath steam' [yanno the Vicks steam] ... so that is what i did.

a few drops of tea tree oil in a small pot of water. i'd breath about 3 times per day, and about 3 days later, it cleared up, or so i thought [yanno how they always say, take the meds for the full 10 days ...... ] well, it came back ... so i continued for the next week, and low and behold .... it cleared up.

I also have a mouth wash, tooth paste and dental floss and even 'chew sticks' that are like tooth picks ... all withe tea tree oil [i get them at my local health food market.
It is supposed to help with preventing plaque.... my hygienist did comment on how, even after 6 months, there is not a lot of build-up.

i swear by the stuff.

on a side note.... Oil of Oregano is another one. nasty as all get up .... but it works for soar throats and cuts, amongst other things. oh, head aches too.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 AM

I love Oil of Oregano! Is expensive though. I take it for arthritic/joint pain, a few drops in a little warm water.

OTR, I used witch hazel instead of water, as it has cleansing/astringent properties and is mostly water. You should get a cow and/or goat for milk!!

Old 01-01-2008, 12:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Smile Great info

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
ani -- when i had a really nasty sinus infection a few years back [3-4 or so] and knowing what that darned 'amoxicilian' [sp] does to me .... i decided to research the Tea Tree oil.

thinking back to when i was a kid and mom used to make be 'breath steam' [yanno the Vicks steam] ... so that is what i did.

a few drops of tea tree oil in a small pot of water. i'd breath about 3 times per day, and about 3 days later, it cleared up, or so i thought [yanno how they always say, take the meds for the full 10 days ...... ] well, it came back ... so i continued for the next week, and low and behold .... it cleared up.

I also have a mouth wash, tooth paste and dental floss and even 'chew sticks' that are like tooth picks ... all withe tea tree oil [i get them at my local health food market.
It is supposed to help with preventing plaque.... my hygienist did comment on how, even after 6 months, there is not a lot of build-up.

i swear by the stuff.

on a side note.... Oil of Oregano is another one. nasty as all get up .... but it works for soar throats and cuts, amongst other things. oh, head aches too.
Thank you sharing this! One of my friends makes up a concoction - just soaks green tea in water - and uses the water to cleanse her face to help w/ rosacea. She says it soothes the burning sensation.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Default Another remedy! YEA!

Quote:
I love Oil of Oregano! Is expensive though. I take it for arthritic/joint pain, a few drops in a little warm water.

OTR, I used witch hazel instead of water, as it has cleansing/astringent properties and is mostly water. You should get a cow and/or goat for milk!!
OOHHHH - a new remedy for me!!! Anything to help w/ joint pain!!!! Guess I will be running off to get some Tea Tree Oil and Oil of Oregano this afternoon . . . . along w/ the Borax . . .

Thank you, Lily!!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 01:09 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
Quote:
I love Oil of Oregano! Is expensive though.
Do you "cut" it with olive oil?? that "pure" oregano is very harsh, and you need to cut it ... plus that brings the cost down.

Quote:
I used witch hazel instead of water,
I do too, and i add the tea tree oil to it too.

just can't get enough of the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House