Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,276 times

Advertisements

Sounds to me like your describing Sambos. They really catered to kids, family friendly. They would have treasure chest, and other Kool things for kids to keep them excited and entertained while the parents could get a great value for their dollar. The food was good, and inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2023, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinAustin View Post
Or maybe the late 1960s...we went there when I was a kid. All I remember is that it may have had the word "Gold" in its name and it may have had a treasure chest of plastic trinkets--I can't remember if we got to keep one or just gaze upon them. I remember--I think--waiting in line, so perhaps it was a cafeteria? We lived in Waldo, if that helps.

Thanks, everyone, in advance!
Wait, could you be speaking of the Gold Buffet? They has a cool smorgasbord, a treasure chest with rings and golden coins. The Gold Buffet had several locations. I had went in NKC MO. One time in the early 70's my fathers family came to visit and we went for dinner, and listened to Jim Neighbors sing. It was a really fun place. [url]https://www.thepitchkc.com/relic-tray-dining-out-1976/[/url]

Old 08-27-2023, 06:57 AM

14,157 posts, read 9,047,788 times
A report from the present:

• The revived Golden Ox, still in the Livestock Exchange Building on Genessee Street, is all that and a bag of chips. BF and I had our last dinner in KC there on our week-long trip Back Home in June. We sat at the "chef's table" (a row of five seats at a counter facing the kitchen) and had a great conversation with the head server. Great steak, too.

• We also stumbled across a daiquiri bar and restaurant in the 18th and Vine Jazz District — on the 1800 block of Vine itself — whose names evoke Kansas City chains past. The daiquiri bar — from what I can tell, these are now a Thing among Black Kansas Citians; we stayed in an apartment across Grand Boulevard from one downtown — is called "Velvet Freeze." (It's an appropriate name because these bars feature rows of slush freezers — the same type used to make soft-serve ice cream — filled with various daiquiri flavors.) The kitchen attached to it is called "Smaxx." Those of you of a certain age (such as mine) should recall the chains of ice cream shops and hamburger stands referenced by those names. On the restaurant side of this place are a bunch of nostalgic and historic photos, including one each of a Smaks and a Velvet Freeze (I recognized it as the one at 31st Street and Gillham Road). There's also a picture of the original Gates' Ol' Kentuck' BBQ stand, which was located near here, and one of a house in Santa Fe Place that had been the home of a Black girl who had become a millionaire (I forget how she came into her fortune; the house still stands). There's also a mock newspaper front page extolling the achievements of the great Satchel Paige; the Monarchs played their games at old Ruppert Field (not yet Kansas City Municipal Stadium), about eight blocks away.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:00 AM

1 posts, read 503 times
Post Gold Buffet

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkcmo View Post
I remember the Gold Buffet...1970's kid...
As I recall the advertising jingle, it went:
There is no buffet like the Gold Buffet,
From coast to coast its the Gold Buffet.

Old 10-04-2023, 08:33 AM

654 posts, read 630,550 times
I moved to KC in 1999 Restaurants that I miss are:

Skies
Plaza III
Figlio
Fronteras in Olathe
The Gaf
75th St Brewing Co

Old 10-26-2023, 01:05 PM

165 posts, read 143,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I moved to KC in 1999 Restaurants that I miss are:

Skies
Plaza III
Figlio
Fronteras in Olathe
The Gaf
75th St Brewing Co
Skies has started re-opening as a seasonal pop up venue that is open to the public. You have to pay for a reservation and that does not include dinner ($70 per reservation this season).

https://www.kctv5.com/2023/10/26/wan...ble-last-year/

I miss 75th street Brewery because it was really the first of that type of genre in Kansas City.

I miss a lot of the restaurants of my youth in KC in the late 70's and early 80's (like Harry Starkers, Costello's, Cork and Cleaver, the old formal version of the Savoy Grill, Jenie's and many more). I wasn't in KC from the mid 80's until recently and many venues came and went in that time.

Old 10-30-2023, 09:07 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,760,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajord View Post
As I recall the advertising jingle, it went:
There is no buffet like the Gold Buffet,
From coast to coast its the Gold Buffet.
I thought it went (with a small group of male singers)

There's no buffet
Like the Gold Buffet

So come to North Kansas City
Todaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy

Old 01-02-2024, 01:37 PM

7 posts, read 1,763 times
Default Putsch Hours of Operation and Details/Cricket West

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Thank you!

Yes, I love it when it was Peaches Records. That's where I would go to rent movies when we got our first VCR. It was an amazing time

What about Putch's Cafeteria? I remember going there with my grandparents on Sundays after church at Metcalf South. (I'm pretty sure there were other locations) It was always packed with old people, rather dark inside with colored stained glass windows, and someone playing an organ. We also went to The Forum cafeteria in Oak Park Mall (across from the AMC theater on the south side of the mall, I think) back in the 80s. I loved the cafeterias as a kid!

And was there a Mexican restaurant called Don-something in Mission, right off Metcalf? Now I'm remembering all these old places that no longer exist. Now that I'm traveling back to KC every 3 months, I enjoy driving around seeing the old sites. Some things changed, lots of things haven't. It's like going back in time for me.
I know I am responding to an older thread, but I was hoping someone could provide details about Putsch's Cafeteria and Cricket West which was right next door.

I am working on a chapter for a fiction book and need to figure out what time Putsch's opened, if they were still around in 1977 (late summer/early fall), if they were damaged by the flood, and when the brick pavers replaced the cement sidewalk. I am also wondering when Cricket West left the Plaza.

I have reached out to some other sources and am scouring the internet for details. But, I figured locals who have eaten at Putsch's or stood by Neptune Fountain or even rubbed the Boar's nose for luck, might know better.

Thanks in advance.

Pictures are also welcome.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:36 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times
Putsch’s Cafeteria on the Plaza was definitely open in 1977. If it was damaged by the flood, it was probably minimal. 47th Street on the Plaza is considerably above Brush Creek, especially the north side where Putsch’s was.

I shopped at Cricket West in the very early 70s when I was in high school, but I had outgrown it by the time the flood rolled around, so can’t help you there.

I was living in Lawrence then, and went to a Royals game that night. Saw a VW Beetle do a 360 on the Lewis and Clark viaduct on the way home.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:24 PM

7 posts, read 1,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Putsch’s Cafeteria on the Plaza was definitely open in 1977. If it was damaged by the flood, it was probably minimal. 47th Street on the Plaza is considerably above Brush Creek, especially the north side where Putsch’s was.

I shopped at Cricket West in the very early 70s when I was in high school, but I had outgrown it by the time the flood rolled around, so can’t help you there.

I was living in Lawrence then, and went to a Royals game that night. Saw a VW Beetle do a 360 on the Lewis and Clark viaduct on the way home.
Glad you got out of the game and home safely. I found a flood coverage map today and saw that the section was not in the zone that got flooded.

An additional question: Would you happen to know what was down the staircase where Bucco di Beppo is now?

I still need to figure out what hours Putsch's cafe opened each day and if Cricket West was still there.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City