Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 07:21 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
For me, Vincent Bugliosi's Helter Skelter, Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, and most recently--although it's been out for several years--Dave Cullen's Columbine. Each of the authors has incredible narrative writing skills.
Have to agree, all 3 of these was outstanding...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 07:45 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
To the poster who sent me a rep (thank you) for the post in which I mentioned Desi Arnaz.......to this day I still look at Estate sales and Goodwill and other thrifts for "A Book" by Desi Arnaz (yes, that is the name of it) and I have never found it. I no longer check on ebay since I have it, will have to look later. And I will look for it at Half Price Books, doubt if sellers know the value of it. It comes in hardback and paperback.

This book is the one thing I mention to others who like doing sales of all kinds......if you ever find "A Book" by Desi Arnaz, grab it. It is worth some money. It is truly "treasure hunting".
Thanks! And, you’re welcome.

I know someone who found a first edition Harry Potter book at a yard sale. Score!

Okay, back to crime lol.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:58 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,013 times
Years ago I read a random ' true crime' book, a collection of stories. I remember reading about Sal Mineo and feeling bad for him.

Later I learned about Russ Columbo--more of a freak accident than a crime. He was a crooner around the time of young Sinatra, accidentally shot through the eye by a friend. His siblings ended up ' faking his life', misleading their blind and elderly mom to believe that he was alive through his records, taped radio shows from before his death, and forged telegrams from his travels. This went on for years, until her death.

The world is full of fascinating 'no effin' way' stories.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:59 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Default Ann Rule's If You Really Loved Me

I noticed the discussion of Small Sacrifices so I assume we have some other Ann Rule fans around here. Has anyone read If You Really Loved Me? This is the one that started it all for me. I picked this up in a library one day and couldn't put it down. It was so fascinating to see someone like David Brown and get insight into his actions from Rule. Always felt sorry for his daughter. I think she is out of prison. Is the sister who helped with the murder out as well?

Old 04-08-2019, 02:45 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I noticed the discussion of Small Sacrifices so I assume we have some other Ann Rule fans around here. Has anyone read If You Really Loved Me? This is the one that started it all for me. I picked this up in a library one day and couldn't put it down. It was so fascinating to see someone like David Brown and get insight into his actions from Rule. Always felt sorry for his daughter. I think she is out of prison. Is the sister who helped with the murder out as well?
Patti Bailey, Linda's sister, was convicted and spent a few years in juvenile detention. Upon her release, she married a prison guard.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:23 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I have read it. It's excellent. Terrible story. I hope Cinnamon Brown's life is going great.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:27 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I have read it. It's excellent. Terrible story. I hope Cinnamon Brown's life is going great.

Me too....I think I've read all AR's books.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:01 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Default Any of you read Edna Buchanan's early books?

I was just re-reading The Corpse Had a Familiar Face, and enjoying it so much - her vivid writing, her sense of humor. I was kind of sorry she switched to fiction.

Edna Buchanan Book Notes

Old 04-14-2019, 06:44 PM

764 posts, read 391,696 times
I have read all of Ann's books too. You cannot put them down. She was the best writer I have ever come across and she was nice too. She had a website that she welcomed everyone on to talk even small talk about her garden etc. Very nice person. I wish she was still alive and writing.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:36 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Default Your favorite true crime documentary or book?

Looking for some new things to watch/read on a long plane ride. Seen any true crime documentaries or read any great books that you would recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime