Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 10:59 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times

Advertisements

Some of the books mentioned here but Helter Skelter is a masterpiece of the genre. Another one that isn't often mentioned is Murder in Little Egypt by Darcy O'Brien also Fatal Vision by Joe McGinniss and Bitter Blood by Jerry Bledsloe. These books are all amazing reads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 04:56 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Some of the books mentioned here but Helter Skelter is a masterpiece of the genre. Another one that isn't often mentioned is Murder in Little Egypt by Darcy O'Brien also Fatal Vision by Joe McGinniss and Bitter Blood by Jerry Bledsloe. These books are all amazing reads.
I've never read "Bitter Blood" but the others on this list are beyond excellent.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:55 AM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,260 times
"A Death in White Bear Lake" by Barry Siegel.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:04 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie
Many of the books youse have mentioned have stuck with me over the years, but one that really still makes me feel sick just to think about is Darcy O'Brien's Two of a Kind, about the Hillside Stranglers. They were just so depraved and cruel.

I looked it up on Amazon and it doesn't seem to be available for Kindle.
It has been re-released under the title The Hillside Stranglers. You might have better luck searching for that title.

My all-time favorite in this genre is really Vincent Bugliosi's Helter Skelter. It's so rich and well-written; I get something different out of it every time I read it. And it doesn't leave me as heartsick and ready to write off the human species as Two Of A Kind.

For the same reasons -- well-written, thought-provoking, rich -- I love these:

Murder In The Synagogue, T.V. LoCicero
Small Sacrifices, Ann Rule
Ladykiller, Juliet Papa

For sheer horror, I have to agree strongly with the OP when it comes to House Of Secrets. Lowell Cauffiel is a terrific writer and that's a helluva case. Also high on the "Will Haunt Me Forever" list:

Mother's Day, Dennis McDougal
Blood Stain, Peter Lalor
The Shrine Of Jeffrey Dahmer, Brian Masters
...but worst of all is Rites Of Burial by Tom Jackman.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,777 times
Default The Darker Side of Evil

My Favorite Book is: The Darker Side of Evil by Andre Turner

The Darker Side of Evil highlights the life and crimes of 10 African-American serial killers. The book not only examines the heinous acts of these individuals but also the media's unwillingness to report the existence of these individuals and how this reluctance allowed the perpetrators to continue to kill and basically hide in plain sight of their respective communities.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:37 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,155,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
He is. Two things stay with me from reading "Son" - Kevin Coe's bizarre term of endearment for his mother "Bearfax", and how he compared himself, or a certain part of himself, to the Seattle Space Needle.
What a pair that mother and son were!

I just saw this on City Confidential last night, but they didn't mention Kevin's nickname for his mother. What does Bearfax mean?

I felt kinda bad for the kid. I saw where Washington St passed a Community Protection Act that allows a court and jury to decide if a prisoner has a mental defect that makes them likely to offend again. They can detain that prisoner indefinitely in a mental health facility, which is where Coe went in 2008 and remains today. Too bad all states don't have this law.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:05 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
There was another recent book about the serial killer Israel Keyes, "American Predator."

It's a bit different from the other book about him I read, "Devil in the Darkness," in terms of timeline.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:10 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
An excellent book was Dead Men Do Tell Tales: The Strange and Fascinating Cases of Forensic Anthropologists by William Maples. Interesting read on how numerous cases were solved through forensics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I second this one. Good read.

I'll third it. Excellent book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
If I could do my life over again it would be a career in Forensics. I am promoting this career choice to my 12 year old granddaughter. She is in gifted and talented classes and has a great scientific mind.
I have a friend whose surname is Death. Really. Death.

We're all hoping that at least one of his children gets a doctorate degree. Even a doctorate in economics would be cool if you could be Dr. Death. But can you imagine if it was a degree in forensics? What prosecutor wouldn't love to call Dr. Death to the stand for some expert testimony?

My favorite true crime book is "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets" by David Simon. This would have been a great book no matter which city's homicide squad it had been written about, but being about my home town of Baltimore made it particularly interesting to me.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:31 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times

Best one Ive read

Old 07-27-2019, 01:03 PM

1,210 posts, read 887,776 times
Just finishing this one up now:
The Lost Girls: The True Story of the Cleveland Abductions and the Incredible Rescue of Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry, and Gina DeJesus Mass Market Paperback – May 3, 2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime