Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 01:57 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
An excellent book was Dead Men Do Tell Tales: The Strange and Fascinating Cases of Forensic Anthropologists by William Maples. Interesting read on how numerous cases were solved through forensics.
If I could do my life over again it would be a career in Forensics. I am promoting this career choice to my 12 year old granddaughter. She is in gifted and talented classes and has a great scientific mind.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 06-22-2018 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 02:22 PM

I am reviving this thread because I have not read True Crime in quite awhile. I am house/pet sitting and the family does not have TV so I found a book at Half Price books to read. Just walked up on it on the clearance rack outside the store. I came to this site after doing a "search" on C-D True Crime for "Coe". The book has been mentioned here in this old thread, name of it is "Son" by Jack Olsen. About a rapist back in the late 70's/early 80's in Spokane, Washington.

What a difference decades and generations make. Not only in technology but in knowledge and strength and demands of society. I find myself getting so angry at what happened, or rather, what didn't happen, back in those days. This guy, Fred (Kevin) Coe not only showed his face to his victims, he let each one go free, was seen in public by a victim, raped a victim twice, and even gave one victim (not of rape but other sexual assault) his BUSINESS CARD with ALL of his information on it. Several victims did not report the crime (as we are finding out in today's society with all the past sexual abuses coming to light) because the police did nothing, did not find it worthwhile, did not follow up, let it go cold, and NEVER made it known to the public in the specific area where the rapist "worked".

I have thought about not reading further, it is frustrating, he is creepy, the women in his life are weak and pathetic, yet I can't put it down. He is truly a case study in psychopathy......

Old 06-22-2018, 04:03 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Mention it again, Helter Skelter gave me the serious creeps when I read it the first time.

A book I read not too long ago, Devil in the Darkness about Israel Keyes, a true monster and very very disturbing.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:10 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Jerry Bledsoe's Bitter Blood, a tale of the mingling of eccentric personalities, with tragic consequences, in a small community, has long been a favorite of mine, as was Darcy O'Brien's Murder in Little Egypt.

Unfortunately for the authors, the unique nature of those cases made then a tough act to follow.
-----------

Bitter Blood murders....parts occurred in the city Winston Salem, when I lived there...

it was fascinating then as now. Could not put that book down and have read it many times since the incidents happened...

Old 06-22-2018, 04:33 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
People Who Eat Darkness: The True Story of a young woman who vanished
from the streets of Tokyo and the evil that swallowed her.

by: Richard Lloyd Parry.

I read this one a few years ago and it scared the daylights out of me. The author's research is thorough and the story is so well told.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:05 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I went through a spate of reading true crime books that lasted for several years.
Of them all, In Cold Blood chilled me the most, and the several movies made from the book had the same effect on me.

Much of it came from Capote's writing. He was at the top of his game when he wrote In Cold Blood, and vividly portrayed the places, people and the times, and his account of the murders, written straight from conversations with the killer, came late in the book. By then, a reader knew the family, their community, and their killers very well. I was horrified when I read that chapter.
The book was a spectacular best seller, is the first and still the best of it's kind, and ended Capote's writing career. He never recovered his equilibrium after writing it and died a drunk.
Yes, that one haunts me. I've read it several times and each time, it is still horrible.

Such a waste of life.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:12 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
For me, Vincent Bugliosi's Helter Skelter, Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, and most recently--although it's been out for several years--Dave Cullen's Columbine. Each of the authors has incredible narrative writing skills.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:36 PM

927 posts, read 968,774 times
The Anne Rule book "The Stranger Beside Me", an awful, boring book that sticks with me. I used to like Anne Rules' stuff too, but this one was really bad.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:33 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
This is a great thread! Thanks!

Anyway, don’t know if it’s been mentioned-Mothers Day by Dennis McDougal.

It’s about Theresa Cross Knorr or vice-versa who used to kids to help murder and cover up the murders of her other kids.

Going to have to reread it as I don’t remember the specifics. You can find her story in the various crime shows, and the film The Afflicted was based on these crimes.

I suppose it sticks with me more than the others because they were her own kids.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:20 PM

To the poster who sent me a rep (thank you) for the post in which I mentioned Desi Arnaz.......to this day I still look at Estate sales and Goodwill and other thrifts for "A Book" by Desi Arnaz (yes, that is the name of it) and I have never found it. I no longer check on ebay since I have it, will have to look later. And I will look for it at Half Price Books, doubt if sellers know the value of it. It comes in hardback and paperback.

This book is the one thing I mention to others who like doing sales of all kinds......if you ever find "A Book" by Desi Arnaz, grab it. It is worth some money. It is truly "treasure hunting".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime