Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 05:06 PM

79 posts, read 53,829 times

Advertisements

Mystery on the Isles of Shoals: Closing the Case on the Smuttynose Ax Murders of 1873

I read this book before going to Boston a couple years back. I drank a Smuttynose beer there in its honor. I think the island is technically off Maine though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 12:00 PM

79 posts, read 53,829 times
I started reading this book last night. I remember seeing this case on one of those crime shows or 20/20 or? British girl goes to Japan to become a "hostess" at a "club" with her friend. Her job entails talking and listening to Japanese men who come in for companionship. She goes off with one man for lunch and disappears. Her father and sister come to Japan and use the media to get this case out there as it appears the Japanese police are disinterested in it.

People Who Eat Darkness: The True Story of A Young Woman Who Vanishes Into the Streets of Tokyo-And the Evil That Ate Her Up

Oh, I just noticed it is on the list! Oh well, I don't know if it was described or not.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:40 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Default Unsolved Mysteries Reboot

First 6 episodes hit Netflix on July 1st.

Synopses of those cases are at..

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/361...-new-episodes/

Old 06-19-2020, 06:20 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
It's just not the same without Stack. Will the theme return?

Old 06-19-2020, 08:34 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's just not the same without Stack. Will the theme return?

We'll find out July 1st, I guess. It's all been pretty hush-hush. They've said there won't be a host/narrator, so, I'm skeptical it will be UM in anything other than name.

The cases look.. decent, tho.. not sure any of them need an hour long treatment...

Old 06-27-2020, 03:24 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Girl Forever View Post
I just purchased In Cold Blood, and I’m looking forward to reading it.

I’m glad I found this thread, by the way!
That's my favorite. There's a lot of stuff in it I think Capote got wrong or made up, but the guy could write a story, and In Cold Blood was the best book he ever wrote.

He never intended the book to be his best; at first, it was only an experiment to see if he could write something true with all the intensity of fiction.

That he succeeded so well made any other book he ever started impossible to beat In Cold Blood. So that's the one that ended his career as a writer.

It's that intensity that brings me back to the book. I read a lot of true crime books over 12 years, but In Cold Blood was the only one I've ever read more than once. prepare for horror.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:15 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
We'll find out July 1st, I guess. It's all been pretty hush-hush. They've said there won't be a host/narrator, so, I'm skeptical it will be UM in anything other than name.

The cases look.. decent, tho.. not sure any of them need an hour long treatment...
Watching now. This should have been produced as an original series. The re-mixed theme and and homage to Stack in the opening titles does not suffice. Well made but should have it's own identity.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:07 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorahLA View Post
Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders..
yeah, great book. It's one of those evil historical episodes, that is (unfortunately) fascinating.

The 2017 miniseries on the Unabomber was fascinating too (Manhunt). I also liked the early 9os miniseries on Gacy, with Brian Dennehy (To Catch a Killer). Twisted, but well done accounting..

Old 02-11-2021, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,617 times
Default The Criminal Chaos Podcast Is My Obsession

I’ve been obsessed with this true crime podcast Criminal Chaos

Old 07-29-2021, 01:26 AM

3 posts, read 2,385 times
mine would be a set of books on the same subject by an author. nick van der leek and his several trilogies on the jonbenet ramsey case, hes grouped so much information from the many sources on the subject, put them all in order in these books, in a way that helps the reader to gain all the relevant information grouped together. even after years of being a jbr case geek i found snippets of information via his books id not known before. the craven silence series was my best of the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime