Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2024, 09:59 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,234,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortably_numb View Post
Is this whole thread just 2 people arguing with each other?!
The truth lies somewhere in between their views. It's hardly a liberal conspiracy, but there's also measurable data and apparent-to-all reasons why ABQ has the crime numbers it has. It is a very real issue and should not be pooh-poohed with the usual "every city has crime" statements.
It's time for a moderator to shut this train wreck down, though this thread is a long one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 10:04 AM

55 posts, read 18,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
The truth lies somewhere in between their views.
As it is with most things.

I'm someone who is planning to move from Kansas City to ABQ later this year. I think all big cities have crime, regardless of which political party is in charge. Personally, I've never felt any more unsafe in ABQ than I have walking the streets of Kansas City, Chicago, LA. I'm also one who always stays in a hotel on Central near Old Town every time I come to ABQ. Never felt unsafe there either.

Just my two cents.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:33 AM

983 posts, read 543,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortably_numb View Post
As it is with most things.

I'm someone who is planning to move from Kansas City to ABQ later this year. I think all big cities have crime, regardless of which political party is in charge. Personally, I've never felt any more unsafe in ABQ than I have walking the streets of Kansas City, Chicago, LA. I'm also one who always stays in a hotel on Central near Old Town every time I come to ABQ. Never felt unsafe there either.

Just my two cents.
Yes, near old town it is safer than further east. And Albuquerque isn't even a big city compared to Kansas City and Chicago. It is small spread out city with very little going on downtown. You can drive for 30 minutes if there is not congested traffic (rare) from the furthest east to the furthest west in the city, but there are not any real neighborhoods that have everything you need like in the big cities.

Old 03-18-2024, 01:34 PM

121 posts, read 166,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
I was just in Albuquerque for a weeklong visit. What a weird city. Here are my crime/security observations.

1. The last time I was driving through ABQ on Central Avenue was back in 2015. My takeaway then was there were a lot of rough-looking vagrants all over the place.

This time around and Central Avenue is so much worse. It is full-on "Hamsterdam" from the HBO series "The Wire" at this point. I wonder if the police purposefully funnel people into the Eastern portion of Central Avenue. It might be the worst area I have even seen and possibly the worst stretch of America behind Skid Row in Los Angeles.

2. Every Fast Food joint had door locks on the bathrooms. Two places buzzed me into the Men's Room from behind the counter like I was in prison or something. One place didn't give me the key but unlocked it for me as if someone had run off with the key before.

3. The upscale, 2nd-story, Target in ABQ Uptown(?) had two security guards at the entrance wearing tactical gear. [I doubt their vests had armor plates]. Other random businesses that weren't upscale had security guards as well.

4. I was chatting with a barista who had been living in ABQ for 3 years. She told me her first apartment was in an area nicknamed "The Warzone".

5. Just lots and lots of really, really, rough-looking people all over the place.

6. Surprisingly, ABQ didn't have that much trash littering the streets compared to Tuscon [which had trash everywhere except for the nice areas].

7. It's a shame because ABQ has so much potential.
I was going through photographs of my road trip last year and I had forgotten one other strange thing about my time in Albuquerque. I wish I could directly add the photograph to this post instead of explaining it.

I was at the Einstein Bagels somewhere on the west side of town in an OK area. According to the data on the photo, it was 2:11 P.M. on a Wednesday. I went to go inside and was surprised the store was closed as most Einstein Bagels are usually open for lunch. There was a sign on the door that read:

"For the safety of our Guests and Team Members, we are no longer accepting Cash Transactions or keeping Cash on the premises. We apologize for any inconvenience."

I have heard of some small businesses in upscale areas that don't accept cash because they don't want the hassle and their clientele all have credit/debit cards.

However, I have never seen a business not accept cash due to a "Safety Issue".

Old 03-21-2024, 02:02 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
I was going through photographs of my road trip last year and I had forgotten one other strange thing about my time in Albuquerque. I wish I could directly add the photograph to this post instead of explaining it.

I was at the Einstein Bagels somewhere on the west side of town in an OK area. According to the data on the photo, it was 2:11 P.M. on a Wednesday. I went to go inside and was surprised the store was closed as most Einstein Bagels are usually open for lunch. There was a sign on the door that read:

"For the safety of our Guests and Team Members, we are no longer accepting Cash Transactions or keeping Cash on the premises. We apologize for any inconvenience."

I have heard of some small businesses in upscale areas that don't accept cash because they don't want the hassle and their clientele all have credit/debit cards.

However, I have never seen a business not accept cash due to a "Safety Issue".
Over the years, I have seen a number of Albuquerque businesses that do not accept cash due to safety concerns. The first I remember was my dry cleaners in the late 1980's. The owner had been robbed at one of his stores so stopped taking cash at all the locations. Also seen many signs that state no cash is kept on premises although these may have been service oriented businesses rather than retail stores.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:24 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,720 times
It's the 21st century, no one should be carrying cash.

Old 03-26-2024, 03:40 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
....until the data lines are down.

Sorry - I carry cash and use it for 90% of all transactions, especially when I'm dealing with the trades. And with cash, I don't have to worry about my card getting hacked, which just happened Sunday....5 days before I'm due to leave on a major trip. I like to use a card for gas simply because it precludes me having to go inside the station.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM

55 posts, read 18,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Opinions vary.

Old 04-08-2024, 03:40 PM

8 posts, read 1,395 times
Two traffic fatalities in the last month on Coors less than a mile from where I live. All from young men driving like they're in the Indy 500 in their Camaros, Mustangs and Chargers. I never go out at night.

Old 04-09-2024, 08:31 AM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
....until the data lines are down.

Sorry - I carry cash and use it for 90% of all transactions, especially when I'm dealing with the trades. And with cash, I don't have to worry about my card getting hacked, which just happened Sunday....5 days before I'm due to leave on a major trip. I like to use a card for gas simply because it precludes me having to go inside the station.
We just had someone review their visit to Albuquerque in this forum (and you posted in their thread) who said when she went to Texas recently nobody accepted cash, but when she came to Albuquerque everywhere accepted cash. So there you go. Another non-issue blown out of proportion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque