Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: IYO... Are we about to experience a SHTF event
NO 42 37.17%
YES 21 18.58%
Very soon, less then 3 months 7 6.19%
In 6 months or so 8 7.08%
It will happen shortly, but last less then a month 1 0.88%
It will happen but gradually 16 14.16%
By next year big time event 3 2.65%
Absolutely, I'm expecting a form of civil war 11 9.73%
It will be a slow burn towards depression 16 14.16%
Our government will suspend the constitution and declare Marshall law 7 6.19%
other... explain 9 7.96%
Only wacko's believe in SHTF, not the town in Texas 8 7.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 09:47 AM

37,476 posts, read 61,432,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
BTW, it's spelled "martial" law, not Marshall.
In the US legal system, we do not use the phrase 'martial law'.

It is called 'State of Emergency'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 09:48 AM

5,410 posts, read 3,607,595 times
and not just in America, Britain is very much a service industry now.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Good time to be a US farmer. Incredible Gov’t spending in that sector for bailouts and a robust commodity market = phenomenal returns.

If they had inputs purchased prior to run up prices.

Yup not a bad time at all. I see a lot of new equipment sales in Montana this year.
I am a small-scale organic farmer, from among all other farmers I know. I am not aware of any farmer receiving any bailout funds.

Prices we are getting have not gone up at all.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:20 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,680,678 times
Relax, I know a lot of posters are waiting for a SHTF scenario, even to the extent that they willingly offer to start it if necessary. Internet idiots aside, the state of our economy has been worse, our wars have been way more troublesome, prices are high and IQ's are low, cars cost as much as houses once did and I still see a ton of way too expensive cars being bought. But here on CD the world is ending.......

People are complaining online, but then head out every night to eat and drink and shop, bad news abounds for the airlines--and people are lined up knee deep waiting to be the next pissed off flyers, gas is high priced--but there they are in those huge trucks, one person in that six or seven thousand pound vehicle--waiting...For some apocalyptic event, and never knowing that THEY ARE that event.

Stupidity: The notion that something is about to happen, long after the fact of ignorance taking over the minds of those who get their exercise from jumping to conclusions. That fact--IS a SHTF scenario, it's the stupidity man, the fear, the hate, the misinformation, the lies, the mistrust, fear-fear-fear, its getting old and depressing. Joe Biden isn't coming for your guns, he doesn't own the nation's gas stations, nor can he adjust prices to satisfy the proles, we aren't in a civil war, we aren't actually doing badly at all.

In my area the building is just going nuts, jobs are going begging, bars and restaurants are absolutely packed, car sales are up, home sales aren't crashing but slowing down the pursuit of unreal pricing, I'm old and have seen much worse times in America. Get up, get off the computer, turn off the TV, go out, have a beer, enjoy the summer while it lasts, and relax, the world isn't ending no matter what doom and gloom they're selling on TV..

Old 08-24-2022, 03:09 PM

8,947 posts, read 4,663,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
What ...
... Waiting/preparing for the apocalypse is a luxury, a hobby, and something to do, while waiting around to die of old age...
If you are struggling that much with day to day life, you shouldn't be wasting your time, and ours while you are waiting around to die.

Quote:
Relax, ...
... Get up, get off the computer, turn off the TV, go out, have a beer, enjoy the summer while it lasts, and relax, the world isn't ending no matter what doom and gloom they're selling on TV..
Thanks for stopping by and giving us your non-helpful opinion. Apparently (judging by the lack of usefulness of your posts here), you know nothing about preparedness or SHTF events. Doesn't appear that you have read the thread, even, or you would know we are not talking about the Apocalypse.

So, someday, if you have a legit question, or actually learn about SHTF events that happen from time to time, please stop by and contribute to the forum.

Last edited by TRex2; 08-24-2022 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-24-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Relax, I know a lot of posters are waiting for a SHTF scenario, even to the extent that they willingly offer to start it if necessary. Internet idiots aside, the state of our economy has been worse
This is largely a matter of perspective.

When you read about a SHTF event that happened to someone else it may seem minor. But if that same event happened to you it might have been traumatizing to you.

Consider FDR's 'bank holiday'. Banks locked their doors, seized personal savings accounts and were encouraged to foreclose on mortgages. My paternal grandparents and my maternal grandparents were both in that situation. The banks held all the money, nobody but the banks had any money, and no way to make mortgage payments since nobody else had any money. They were evicted off their farms. To them the entire event was horrible. The book and movie 'The Grapes or Wrath' [book by John Steinbeck, and movie directed by John Ford] both portray the event as truly SHTF.

But here on City-Data, I have seen threads where economists played it down saying it was not such a horrible event at all.

My parents were 6yo and 8yo when each of their families were evicted off their farms. That event left them in trauma the remainder of their lives.

Quote:
... Get up, get off the computer, turn off the TV, go out, have a beer, enjoy the summer while it lasts, and relax, the world isn't ending no matter what doom and gloom they're selling on TV..
We do not have a TV in our home. We are busy growing food.

If people would get out of debt, get off-grid and become self-sufficient then no matter what event comes they will get through it much better.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:40 PM

19,795 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am a small-scale organic farmer, from among all other farmers I know. I am not aware of any farmer receiving any bailout funds.

Prices we are getting have not gone up at all.
Farm and ranchers here did. https://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offic...220516_rel_643

And with higher commodity prices, grain and pulse producers should have a good year- especially in some regions of the state that received adequate rainfall this spring and early summer.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Farm and ranchers here did. https://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offic...220516_rel_643

And with higher commodity prices, grain and pulse producers should have a good year- especially in some regions of the state that received adequate rainfall this spring and early summer.
I do not participate in any of the Federal Crop Insurance scams.

Old 08-24-2022, 06:28 PM

19,820 posts, read 9,381,719 times
I think the west coast of the U.S. is overdue for a major earthquake. The last major earthquake that caused more than 50 deaths was the Loma Prieta in California in January 1994 (28 years ago).

Old 08-24-2022, 08:53 PM

19,795 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I do not participate in any of the Federal Crop Insurance scams.
Welp- that's your choice. They received, on top of their insured crop losses, an additional 100%+ of their losses on a payout.

Are you a Sch. F filing agricultural producer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness