Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 10:07 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm curious about this since it seems like various European countries are really taking off with ZEVs this year, especially plugin hybrids and pure battery electric. GM supposedly has a very aggressive roadmap. Nissan's big announcement signaling its change in direction is a somewhat affordable electric crossover. Toyota's RAV4 Prime is getting rave reviews. I have been guessing that plugins would by 10% or more of new vehicles by some time in 2023 and over 50% by 2028, but is anyone thinking that latter stretch will be even more aggressive than that?
The worst curse to strike the auto market has been these "mild hybrids" that do nothing more than shut off at stop lights. A complete waste and inconvenience, they do not have a traction battery to perform a true "instant start" or get you off the line while the engine starts, and instead rely on a conventional starter to ch-ch-ch-vroom when you lift your foot off the brake, wait for the RPM to settle down, and then for the clutch packs to do their thing and finally restore power to the drive line. This all takes about 3 seconds and will have people honking at you at what is now a stale green light.

2020 Range Rover Evoque does this, and the A/C gets warm when it shuts off. GM had enough sense to go all-electric with their A/C compressor and water pump. Some of these engineers just don't THINK long enough about the what they're putting out. It's obvious they aren't driving these cars for any length of time. And the selection of location for parts replaced in scheduled maintenance is atrocious. Nothing against all-electric or hybrid electric, there are good drive trains and some p*** poor ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 01:01 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,748,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I assumed 'ZEV' means zero-emissions vehicle, which would exclude plug-in hybrids. I wonder if OP meant BEV (battery electric) instead of ZEV?
Now that I've thought about it, ZEVs would include hydrogen and EVs.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:34 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,862 times
I'm still wondering where the electricity is going to come from in the future to refuel the EV's?

They're closing down coal fired steam plants right and left, and nuclear energy most likely won't be renewed as the plants go through their intended lifespans.

We're Camry Hybrid owners, and 49 mpg average is sufficient for our needs. There's no downside to owning such a vehicle.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:52 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I'm still wondering where the electricity is going to come from in the future to refuel the EV's?

They're closing down coal fired steam plants right and left,

They are converting them to NG, not closing them down. And solar and wind is becoming better, cheaper and more popular. You can put solar panels on you house to offset the vehicle charging. a LOT of people in southern states do that, and even here in MD you can do that.

It'll take decades of continuous EV production to put a dent in the 200+ million car fleet in the US. The grid will expand to handle it just fine. It'll have time.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:33 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
They are converting them to NG, not closing them down. And solar and wind is becoming better, cheaper and more popular. You can put solar panels on you house to offset the vehicle charging. a LOT of people in southern states do that, and even here in MD you can do that.

It'll take decades of continuous EV production to put a dent in the 200+ million car fleet in the US. The grid will expand to handle it just fine. It'll have time.
They will nearly all be NG powered eventually, but some on the left don't even like that because it still requires fracking. There's really no other option though, besides nuclear.

As for solar panels, they aren't that popular down here on the gulf coast, I rarely ever see them. Maybe it's the risk of hurricanes, I'm not sure. Strangely, they seem to be more common in northern states.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:51 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
I’m starting to see more panels where I live. I think some folks start to think about them only around or after they have to do a roof replacement

Old 07-21-2020, 08:00 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
This kind of stuff is why we're waiting to go EV until there's a charging infrastructure in place equivalent to the network of gas stations. I like the concept of EVs but we're a long road trip kind of household and I don't want to be scrambling to find a charging point when the car is down to 5% power.

It would be nice for me if that infrastructure was there by 2030 because that's probably going to be the replacement point for one of our vehicles.
Yup, even here in charging station-dense CA, I didn't want to be worried about finding a charge point, and then spending 1/2 hour in some godforsaken spot like Buttonwillow, just to visit my relatives in LA. So I bought a PHEV instead of the full EV I was considering. Because most of my driving is around town, I've been averaging about 150 equivalent MPG. I am fortunate enough to have solar panels so charging expense is very low and environmentally friendly. If charging gets easier/faster, and the battery range improves a bit, I may trade the PHEV for a full EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Ford has discontinued all car production except the Mustang, the rest of their production is pickup trucks. Even GM says their best selling products are their trucks and their cars production has been falling for years.

So my point is; how do you get people interested in EV's if they don't even want to drive a car of any type.
I realize that CA is a special case, but from what I see people still prefer cars, they just prefer to have them made by Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, etc. The US manufacturers just can't (or don't want to) compete in that market anymore.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:37 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
I assumed 'ZEV' means zero-emissions vehicle, which would exclude plug-in hybrids. I wonder if OP meant BEV (battery electric) instead of ZEV?
I definitely meant ZEV. Supposedly there’ll be some rolling of the dice for fuel cell vehicles, and plugin hybrids that can operate as ZEVs even though they also can operate as not-ZEVs. That one’s a bit trickier though as the distinction is really about how usable that all-electric range.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-21-2020 at 08:53 AM..

Old 07-21-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
The worst curse to strike the auto market has been these "mild hybrids" that do nothing more than shut off at stop lights. A complete waste and inconvenience, they do not have a traction battery to perform a true "instant start" or get you off the line while the engine starts, and instead rely on a conventional starter to ch-ch-ch-vroom when you lift your foot off the brake, wait for the RPM to settle down, and then for the clutch packs to do their thing and finally restore power to the drive line. This all takes about 3 seconds and will have people honking at you at what is now a stale green light.

2020 Range Rover Evoque does this, and the A/C gets warm when it shuts off. GM had enough sense to go all-electric with their A/C compressor and water pump. Some of these engineers just don't THINK long enough about the what they're putting out. It's obvious they aren't driving these cars for any length of time. And the selection of location for parts replaced in scheduled maintenance is atrocious. Nothing against all-electric or hybrid electric, there are good drive trains and some p*** poor ones.
I agree. Hybrids seem to run a gamut in quality. It’s hard to put it concisely, but it’s something along the lines of level of detail in thinking things through. It’s old and discontinued, but among the hybrids including plugin hybrids, the Chevy Volt to me was truly a well thought-through hybrid that unfortunately came in a form factor that its home market was rapidly turning away from.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
They will nearly all be NG powered eventually, but some on the left don't even like that because it still requires fracking. There's really no other option though, besides nuclear.

As for solar panels, they aren't that popular down here on the gulf coast, I rarely ever see them. Maybe it's the risk of hurricanes, I'm not sure. Strangely, they seem to be more common in northern states.
Well, there’s also solar and wind which have both been hitting some massive growth spurts. Solar panels might be more common in the Northeast than the Deep South, but aren’t particularly common in the Plains States. The top six solar power generating states are not in the north or northeast and include two states on the Gulf, Texas and Florida. Obviously, California and the southwestern states are very, very keen on solar power. In the southeast, it seems like North Carolina has moved its grid towards solar the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles